Broken cistern lid repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Unfortunately, the lid to our cistern has been broken. I have searched for a replacement, but the particular model (Shires Model Ref. 804/834/814 B57 358) does not seem to have a replacement part out there. And so, rather than having to buy a whole new tank/toilet, I wondered how feasible it was to repair the lid?

It is vitreous china, with white enamel coating and has broken into a combination of some large and some quite small pieces. From what I've read so far, a sillicone sealant is good at repairing vitreous china, but the information I've found so far is mainly directed at repairing cracks. I'm worried using a sealant may be too thick to put together several pieces? What are the best adhesives for such a job? Are any of them available on the high street?

I'm by no means a DIY expert, but am eager to take this job on, with the right advice.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I haven't; I can't find any contact details for them. They don't seem to have any online presence.

In any case, I thought a repair might be cheaper. If I can use the correct adhesive and then paint over with enamel paint, wouldn't that do the job?

There is a Company based in Surrey I believe that last acres of greenhouse filled with all sorts of toilet bits, new, unwanted stock from manufacturers production runs. I will try and software link to their website later.

Failing that just a new cistern with lid, which could be cheaper than just the lid you are searching for, is your next best bet. I wouldn't go sticking around lid together, it won't look that nice.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably have to buy the complete shell.

Talking of shell, be prepared to be asked th shell out an inordinate amount of money. Stockists of discontinued models think they can ask a ridiculous amount. They tend to work to the 'I've got it, you want it, cough up' principle.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will certainly e-mail the above companies about replacement parts, but, as has been pointed out, the going rate is really extortionate and a new unit is probably a cheaper option.

But, before that, I thought that I would at least try a repair. Being a lid, it doesn't need to be totally waterproof and I'm not too bothered about the aesthetic.

Can anyone recommend a good quality adhesive for such a job?

If there are not many small broken bits, araldite will work.

But, before that, I thought that I would at least try a repair. Being a lid, it doesn't need to be totally waterproof and I'm not too bothered about the aesthetic.

Man after my own heart.

Sod the lid, use a bit of plywood. :LOL:

Cheers everyone.

Having stuck it all back together, what are my options for trying to paint over the cracks?

Remember the stick job may not stay when its damp.

A ripple effect paint may make the cracks less noticeable.

Were you born on a saturday?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back