Broken cot/bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make something to replace the broken part on my son's cot/bed.

I literally changed it from a cot into a bed last weekend and as I was doing it I was concerned about how flimsy the base of the bed is and how little support it has but I followed the instructions and did it as it said to.

I came in from work early today and my son (2 years old) got all excited and I chased him into his bedroom and he jumped onto his bed and sure enough, the long piece of wood that the lats screw into on one side of the base snapped closley followed by my wife screaming her head off at me because of it.

On closer inspection, the break is almost exactly half way along the piece of wood and I know even if I glue it and brace it with something, as soon as my son gets back into bed, it's just going to break again because it's weak now.

I just called Mamas and Papas to enquire about ordering a spare part and of course they don't sell the individual part that's broken, and I have to buy an entire base which is £84 +£17 shipping. I politely told the girl on the phone where she could stick it and hung up. I refuse to pay over £100 because of a snapped piece of wood that is woefully pathetic in strength for it's purpose in the first place.

So I'm left with the option of having a new piece of wood made. Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting this done or who would be best to approach to get to make one? I'll take a photo of the profile and upload it in a minute so you can see for yourselves.

Cheers

Kristian

Sponsored Links
My port of call would be to Mamas and Papas by sending them an email with pictures telling them that the timber has snapped.

I'm sure they will bend over backwards to send you a replacement!!!

Or take pictures and post on here.

Andy

Is it possible there was too much weight on the base of the bed? Some older beds arent as light as the best spring mattresses that are available so be careful that you havent invalidated your warranty

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back