Broken flywheel, should I scrap the car?

So a little update. I think £1500 might be over the top. Where do you get valuations these days? Parker's have gone apart from online. They do a valuation if you put your reg in but can you do that for every car you like on auto trader and eBay?
Anyway parkers say is worth £1000. I don't know if thats accurate but the garages want £1100. It scraps at £300 according to an online thing.
I think I might be better putting that money towards something else and walk away.
Parker's do a week's/months etc subscription online.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What car still do free valuations
Thanks, I just had a look. What car say £1,950. (In ok condition). Parker and auto trader both say £1,010. That's a big difference. I reckon somewhere between the two. eBay don't have anything similar coming up for auction for a bit which might have shed some light.
I think if it is worth over £1,500 I'd chance having the work done. Anything under and not worth it. Still not sure though.

If the car is going to any sort of trade outlet, auction or whatever, you will need to be completely honest about the car in it's description.
Believe me, they'll find what they are looking for........!
John :)

I guess you could look at this another way.......not trying to sound like a clever dick here!
You'll get very little money for your motor now - even if it was perfect. It's value has already diminished according to the amount of the repair cost.
If you spend say two grand on another car, it may well prove to be a knacker.
Let's take another look.
Do you think the car would get through say, two more MOT's, and last over those two or more years? let's consider gearbox, steering and other expensive items. The clutch is sorted! £1500 is a reasonable sum for two years of motoring.
Brake repairs and spring replacements are cheap enough and can affect much more recent vehicles too, but corrosion could be an issue - maybe MOT advisories could help here.

If it were in good clean working condition with a fresh mot I'd say its worth £1500.
Still a popular car in estate form.
Hard to know what to do really, clutch job seems high at £1100.
Maybe
stick it on ebay as is and hope the bidding reaches a decent sum.

how long does the MOT have to run? if it's more than 4 months put it on eBay with a minimum (buy now) price of Scrap Value + transport to scrap yard.
I flogged a 17YO Citreon BX in that manner - sold for 60% over the buy now value.

You'll get very little money for your motor now - even if it was perfect.
You are way too much of a clever dick right there.

Should the OP care what the insurance (aka market) "valuation" is if he can get another 100k miles out of it after fixing it for 1100? It comes down to if the OP knows if the rest of the car is OK. Like anything else in life, it also takes some luck. If he gambles, he may win.

Insurance companies depreciate cars to zero in order to lock in their profits. It doesn't mean you should blindly follow their valuations. You must consider the usage value. Is a car capable of 100k miles really worth 1500 if you don't crash?

Last edited:
I'm not too sure what that last retort is supposed to mean, but my reference to myself being a 'clever dick' was meant to infer that we don't know how much money Markbon has, or how much he wants to spend....unless you know different?
It's dead easy to get carried away with advice when money isn't an issue.

Sponsored Links
Back