brush or roller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get the front of my house painted this summer its not been done for probably 10yrs. Its an 1820's built stone cottage so the walls are quite rough. I've got about 100 sqm to paint (its the front and one end of the house) My farther in law has a scaffold tower which I'm going to borrow to do the 1st floor and I'm going to pressure wash the green algae off first. So what do you recommend, a masonry brush or a roller? And as for paint Dulux Weathershield (whats the difference between Weathersheild and the trade version?), or Sandtex.

An old pic of the house c2009 its had new windows since and is now looking rather green!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.330...!1e1!3m2!1sPIr4Xl8MiYj_l4qh7oMKYQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Sponsored Links
Definately a roller but make sure you get an exterior roller, They are rougher and have more 'fluff'

you say it is rough. How rough? Maybe a roller will not reach into the depressions.

You can try it with a roller dipped in water to see.

A roller will work on smooth render but not on stonework. I would have gone straight to a brush.

Sponsored Links
I think I'll give the roller ago, I've got some cash to spend at B&Q so I'll get some rollers and some decent brushes.

Any comments on the paint to use?

Dulux Weathershield Masonry Paint. It's not the cheapest paint but will last

any ideas what the difference between weathersheild and trade weatersheild the trade version is quite a bit more expensive

Yes the trade paint is of a higher quality and from experience lasts longer than the retail paint. In addition, the trade paints are concentrated and are to be watered down as desired (hence why they are more expensive). The retail paints are already at general emulsion consistency for the average 'diy'er and can be used straight from the bucket.

ok I'll have to do the maths and work out the best value/hassle. B&Q are doing 3 for 2 on both types at the moment. Trade is 2.5l tins and retails stuff is 10l

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back