bs 5440 pt1

So, if MIs states its needs a heatshield and it doesn't have one would you note that its 'not to the current standards' even though the standards dosen't mention it? Confusing eh?

Sponsored Links
Not confusing.

The MI's say it needs one thats the end of it.

So you'd class as 'not to MIs' instead of 'ntcs'? Or just leave it and not say anything to the customer and then get picked up at your next check?. I understand that MIs overrule BS (unless it was fitted b4 the last BS).

The MIs are classed as 'an appropriate standard' so if its not to them... It's NTCS...(minimum obviously). It ain't hard!!

Sponsored Links
Depends on the defect, where a flue is concerned and a possible fire risk I, would would probably put AR or even ID.

Sorry to go on, but another question. If its not in the standards (i can't find it) why isn't it?

Because it will be inferred. The BS will have statements such as "a room sealed flue shall be installed in accordance with the flue manufacturers instructions"

Because it will be inferred. The BS will have statements such as "a room sealed flue shall be installed in accordance with the flue manufacturers instructions"

Does that include appliances installed b4 the standards changed?

Is anyone going to give me a definitive answer or doesn't anyone know?

You always install to manufacturers instructions, doesn't matter when a particular British standard came into force as the 'standard' you should be following to start with Is the manufacturers instructions.

If the manual says it doesn't need a heat shield then that's fine...

To conclude... Even if your boiler was made in 1976 it should have been installed in accordance with standards in force at the time, this includes the MIs. If a standard such as a BS does now say 'you will do x or y' then it could be classed as NTCS but if it says 'install per MI' then if it was (albeit in 1976) it is fine!!!!

This is not brain surgery but it begs the question why you need to know the nuances

Like I said, either the OP doesn't like something an RGI has said about his boiler and is trying to find a way of some expensive remedial work.

Or he is a tenant trying to force his landlord into a corner.

The only time questions like this have arisen in my professional life have been from someone trying to get out of paying for something, or getting someone else to pay for it.

THe rightness or wrongness of it I am not going to comment on ;).

Let me see BS 5440-1 1990. BS 5440-1 2000. Bs 2000-2 2005. BS 5440-1 2008. BS 2004-2 2009. I'm sure there's more I haven't got.

Anyway BS 2004-1 2000 says it is essential that the appropriate specification/code of practices are consulted on all aspects of applianceand flue installations.

This standard allows gas appliance andor flue and chimney manufaturers instructions to recommend a method of installation, testing, commisioning or maintenance which differs in points of detail from this standard. This reference to manufacturers instructions is allowed only where it will result in at least an equivalent level of safety. In such circumatances ir is important that the manufacturers instructions are followed.

Let me see BS 5440-1 1990. BS 5440-1 2000. Bs 2000-2 2005. BS 5440-1 2008. BS 2004-2 2009. I'm sure there's more I haven't got.

Anyway BS 2004-1 2000 says it is essential that the appropriate specification/code of practices are consulted on all aspects of applianceand flue installations.

This standard allows gas appliance andor flue and chimney manufaturers instructions to recommend a method of installation, testing, commisioning or maintenance which differs in points of detail from this standard. This reference to manufacturers instructions is allowed only where it will result in at least an equivalent level of safety. In such circumatances ir is important that the manufacturers instructions are followed.

Simple question. Does it mention heatshields for fan flued boilers or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back