BSA Hotspur Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping someone may be able to help me.

I have a 30 year old BSA Hotspur oil boiler. I service it each year, but I would like to know the ideal colour the flame should be? I know I should check the emmisions etc, but I don't have the kit to do this. Any ideas on setting the flame?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
bsa-airborne-small.jpg

THe wallflame burner should burn with a flame on top of the Flame Grilles, (the bits that fit round the flame rim) the flame should be Blue around the base with yellow/Orange tails about 9"long. do you use a Flue gas analyser? CO2 should be 11.5 - 12.0%, with 0 smoke, and a Flue temp of about 250'c Gross, flue draught should be about 0-05mb

Be very carefull how you handle this lovely old boiler as parts are non-existant now ! (how about some piccys..just for old times sake!!)
:)

I was hoping someone may be able to help me.

I have a 30 year old BSA Hotspur oil boiler. I service it each year, but I would like to know the ideal colour the flame should be? I know I should check the emmisions etc, but I don't have the kit to do this. Any ideas on setting the flame?

Many thanks.

apologies couldn't resist ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Boilerman2.

That was just what I wanted. I have not got any ability to check the CO2, etc, I just fiddle around with it and it still runs. I'll sort out some photos as she is a classic. She was fitted in my house when it was built. Actually, thinking about it the street had a 40th party in the summer, so its 40 years old not 30.

One other thing you may be able to help me with - the small oil regulator fitted on the floor. It has a trip switch type lever that flips off when I believe the oil level gets too high - the floats inside pop up and shut of the oil to the boiler.

Sometimes it does it daily, sometimes it will go for weeks without tripping. There are 2 screws under the panel - one controls the flow to the boiler (I think) and the other controls the flow into the regulator itself (I think).

How do I adjust the flow into the regulator unit to stop the oil bellows tripping the switch? I though that due to the age of the boiler, the pin in the hole that lets the oil in from the tank may be worn and overnight lets to much oil in?

Any ideas? Please!!

Be very carefull with the Oil Control Valve!! it does sound like the needle valve is letting by, it may just need cleaning, (BSA Harford used several diffrent models of valve) so it is difficult to advice on cleaning, a pic of the valve would be usefull.

The BM Oil Control (Grey Colour) is still in manufacure, so you may be able to replace this they are about £65 +Vat though.

A new valve would have to be set up for flow rate roughly using a measuring beaker in cc/min, how many cc/min depends on the model and size of your boiler.

Do not be tempeted to adjust any screws under the cobver of the OCV as you will put the oil throughput out of range and the boiler could behave in a spectacularly scary way (most oil engineers that know wallflames will know what I mean!!!) ;)

Thanks again Boilerman2.

It is a BM model. Afraid its to late with the little screws - had a fiddle many thimes, but it runs ok. Any ideas on what happens if I go to low or to high with the flow into the OCV? I what to set the flow correctly so not to waste oil. I can then adjust the flame through the view glass.

Any further help would be good. Thanks.

I too have a Hotspur oil fired boiler. It was already installed in the garage of the house when I moved in 35 years ago.
I have always carried out servicing myself. Like martinph, I have fiddled with/ cleaned the OCV. I only know what I have found out by working on my own boiler. The only thing I have had to replace in all these years is the Honeywell Flame Sensing unit.(until now)

My problem is with the Ignition Transformer 200VA
Pri Volts 200/250
Pri Amps 0.9
50HZ
Sec ocv 8500
Sec Amps 0.021
Rating 70%

inner of Sec grounded to case.

It was manufactured by PARMEKO Ltd, England. for
BSA Harford Heating Ltd

Problem - any suggestions as to replacement transformer.

I am a pensioner now and trust it to break down during this cold spell.
Thank God I have a coal fire in the living room.

Any help appreciated - Slohaw

I didnt know that BSA made boilers,is this the same company that made,rifles,pushbikes,and then motorcycles?
Birmingham Small Arms.

Just a follow up. Was able to buy a substitute Ignition Transformer from Hotfrost Ltd, Surbiton, Surrey.
Part No - 26T 4042559

We also have a Hotspur oil fired boiler, 38 years old. The only thing we would now need to replace is the Honeywell flame sensor.

Where can I buy this?
Griar

We have a Hotspur oil fired boiler, 38 years old. The only thing we would now need to replace is the Honeywell Flame sensor.

Where can I buy it?
Thanks!
Griar

Short answer - You won't last made in about 1980!! so unless you can find an old one somewhere you are out of luck!! ;)

Is there anybody out there who has a Hotspur oil fired boiler, 95btu's preferably, leaking or otherwise, and would be willing to sell it for parts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back