Build over agreement

So in essence, the work has been completed contrary to the agreement?

In which case, if the builder knew about the requirements of the agreement but did not conform then he is responsible for the consequences.
If you did not advise the builder of the agreement criteria, and he has installed an otherwise compliant drain then he is not liable.

Whether building control approved the drain or not is no help. However, if the drain has been installed to a recognised standard (BS or EN etc) then you could use that as an argument.

If the main [shared] drain is in 150mm and it is your sole connection to it which is100mm, then it wont be a problem. If a 150mm drain is being reduced to 100mm downstream, then that would be a concern.
Hi all/Woody,

So having a look at all the conditions set by the WA the builder has i think met them. i have tried to find wherever i can about not being able to reduce in size and i cant find anything that says this.

Builder was advised of all the requirements of the build over agreement and a copy was also sent to the building control inspector.

So having had a look at the cctv footage the camera goes down a 150mm pipe (public sewer pipe) then to a preformed pvc 110mm inch junction then goes back to a 150mm pipe (public sewer pipe) downstream

Question: Do you think they will make me dig out the inside of my kitchen area or are there ways around to remedy this?

Question: if it had to be dug up then will my foundations be ok?

Question - if i didnt submit the second survey how likely is it that they will chase the second cctv survey for post approval - has anyone had the WA chase you for it

Question - do i need to submit the secodn survey before or after buildings regs issue certificate as building control inspector did not ask for it

super anxious :cry::cry::cry:

Sponsored Links
So your builder reduced a 150mm pipe run down to a 100mm fitting and then back up to 150? That's nuts and you don't really need to be told not to do that. Anybody with even the lowest level of basic knowledge should realise it's not a good idea.

I can't see any way that your builder is not liable for this and I think you should, at the very least, make them aware that this might become a problem.

Yes I have and hes kinda fobbed me off really and said that was the only way to do it and that the building inspector signed it off. (He keeps passing it off to the building Inspector)

The builder now wants to get another CCTV survey done by someone else he knows! I said fine it doesn't change the fact that he has put a small junction on two bigger pipes.

I have spent a whole year trying to get this done for my 80 year old mum and just wanted her to enjoy her new kitchen and bathroom downstairs in the time she has left

Im just trying to figure out what's in my best interest to do now and I feel so confused.

How deep is it and how many other people are connected to the pipe run? If its gets ignored and the pipe blocks they will find out anyway. I'm amazed the building inspector allowed it.

Have the water company actually asked for CCTV? Has the whole build now been signed off as completed by the building inspector?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have and hes kinda fobbed me off really and said that was the only way to do it and that the building inspector signed it off. (He keeps passing it off to the building Inspector)

The builder now wants to get another CCTV survey done by someone else he knows! I said fine it doesn't change the fact that he has put a small junction on two bigger pipes.

I have spent a whole year trying to get this done for my 80 year old mum and just wanted her to enjoy her new kitchen and bathroom downstairs in the time she has left

Im just trying to figure out what's in my best interest to do now and I feel so confused.

I had that attitude with a builder, he kept using the 'building inspector will pass it off' - I remember his face when I'd had enough when I said 'the building inspector doesn't live here, he isn't paying for this, I am and I'm not passing it off!'

...how many other people are connected to the pipe run?
Yes, how many? A small run may well be ok and might never cause a problem, but 150 lines usually means a fairly long run. Trouble is, what happens if the problem arises in 2, 3, 4 years time and the water authority discovers it then and sends you the bill? I know this isn't helpful but it can't be ignored. If it's not too deep, you might take the risk and deal with it as and when it arises. What would be the cost and how much hassle would that be?

If you do hold on, I would still definitely - in writing - put both the builder and building control on alert. What's the book on building control coming back and saying they never saw the drains? As SpecialK says, I would be amazed if they did sign it off. You could ask BC now, but of course you might be opening a can of worms?

Next step I think is to work out exactly what would be involved in sorting it now and working out the cost?

PS. by BC 'signing off' I don't mean the whole job, I mean specifically inspecting and signing off on the drains?

Have the water company actually asked for CCTV? Has the whole build now been signed off as completed by the building inspector?
As part pf the whole BOA (and BC sign off) there should be a pre and post-drains survey, when carrying out BOA work on drains. In reality, it's just the latter that gets done and is essential.

As part pf the whole BOA (and BC sign off) there should be a pre and post-drains survey, when carrying out BOA work on drains. In reality, it's just the latter that gets done and is essential.
What would you do in this situation? I think it needs digging up and sorting? No idea how building control passed it as any drains and foundations need inspecting even before the final CCTV survey stage? To reduce a 150mm pipe is just ridiculous.

What would you do in this situation? To reduce a 150mm pipe is just ridiculous.
Correct. Fudging ridiculous.
6" stuff is ridiculously expensive and not the easiest to get hold of. But these are poor excuses. We come across it often around our way...

Granted, we may grab a 110mm junction and slot it in as a temporary measure, if we say broke a 6" main line whilst digging a foundation. It would be swapped as soon as I was at the builders merchants, buying drainage products though.

Correct. Fudging ridiculous.
6" stuff is ridiculously expensive and not the easiest to get hold of. But these are poor excuses. We come across it often around our way...

Granted, we may grab a 110mm junction and slot it in as a temporary measure, if we say broke a 6" main line whilst digging a foundation. It would be swapped as soon as I was at the builders merchants, buying drainage products though.
In my limited experience of building....my inspector wanted to see the drains before they were covered? I didn't need CCTV as I replaced the whole drain section with clay (was pitch fibre) so it was all exposed for inspection. Seems they have been let down by the builder and building control! Good to see you take drains seriously!

How deep is it and how many other people are connected to the pipe run? If its gets ignored and the pipe blocks they will find out anyway. I'm amazed the building inspector allowed it.

Hi @SpecialK on the report it says manhole depth is 900mm not sure how many houses it connects to. I did ask the CCTV drainage guy he said I could find out but he didn't know exact number.

So building inspector is about to signoff once hardwired smoke alarm is done and hasn't asked for the CCTV post report approval.

Water company stipulated on the provisional approval that a post CCTV must be submitted once works are done to get final approval.

Do I wait for the final sign off from the building inspector or wait. I really have no idea what to do

Yes, how many? A small run may well be ok and might never cause a problem, but 150 lines usually means a fairly long run. Trouble is, what happens if the problem arises in 2, 3, 4 years time and the water authority discovers it then and sends you the bill? I know this isn't helpful but it can't be ignored. If it's not too deep, you might take the risk and deal with it as and when it arises. What would be the cost and how much hassle would that be?

If you do hold on, I would still definitely - in writing - put both the builder and building control on alert. What's the book on building control coming back and saying they never saw the drains? As SpecialK says, I would be amazed if they did sign it off. You could ask BC now, but of course you might be opening a can of worms?

Next step I think is to work out exactly what would be involved in sorting it now and working out the cost?

PS. by BC 'signing off' I don't mean the whole job, I mean specifically inspecting and signing off on the drains?
Hi @jeds not sure how long the run is. It's says on the report it's about 900mm deep

Should I wait for BC to sign off then write to them? Just waiting on a smoke alarm to be hardwired then the BC said he would sign it off. I rang the water board just anonymously asking a out the process of post submission and the guy said if BC ask for it then before but water board ask for it when work is done but don't need building certificate copy.

Do I get a copy of what's signed off at each stage from BC? Do you happen to know

@noseall so I rang the water board and they said they need the post drains survey but whether BC ask for it before sign off or not doesn't matter to them.

BC hasn't asked for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back