Build plasterboard box to hide extractor pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a small plasterboard box to enclose the extractor pipe in the picture below.

What is the correct way to do this i.e. what pieces of wood go where, etc? And what is the correct size of wood, and type of wood, to use?

Extractor_Pipe3.jpg

I was thinking the following:-

1. One piece of plywood attached to facing wall, pitched at required height of plasterboard box (i.e. red line)
2. Second piece of plywood onto floor, at depth to allow plasterboard box to come out from wall the required distance (green line)
3. Third piece of plywood attached to where two pieces of plasterboard will join.

Is it best to nail the wood in (to plasterboard wall (1), floor (2), and plasterboard (3) or screw it in?

Finally, what is best tool to use to cut the carpet along where the green line is?

Sponsored Links
Replace flexi with rigid venting which follows the line of the wall then no boxing needed. Looks a mess by the way.

Replace flexi with rigid venting which follows the line of the wall then no boxing needed. Looks a mess by the way.

Could do that in medium term but need a quick and dirty just to get it done and hidden.

Back to plasterboard box then - any answers to queries above?

Put a pair of mdf shelves above and below with mdf front on batons.Quick and easy and does not require carpet cutting.

Sponsored Links
I would also go with foxholes idea. Building a box to the floor will require cutting or scribing the skirting, as well as cutting the carpet, then to make it look ok you would also need to cut and fit skirting to the box and a stained or painted top to finish it off.

Having said that, replacing with the correct rigid vent trunking against the wall is probably even easier.

Jay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back