Builder, labour costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
south of england, hampshire..

just wondering whats is a resonable daily rate for a builder.. general works, removing a wall, putting a lintel above window etc etc...

just i had a quote of £180 per day per builder.. (labour)

Sponsored Links
A single skilled bloke (tradesman, man & van) will be charging upwards of £150.00 per day.

£180 is high side but if you don't like it go elsewhere or ask for a price :idea:

I'd agree that that's about right, but get some extra prices / fixed quote for peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Sounds bit high but still normal for an experienced skilled guy, if the price is the same for the second bloke then he's mate is probably equally skilled/experienced.
If second guy is just a labourer then he's charging you much more than the lab is getting paid. Unless he's a f'in good one!

I'm in Southampton. The only "building" quotes I've had are for plastering, but they consistently came in at £250-£300/day for one man.

that`s cuz spreads can work alone now they`ve got hand held power mixers and stilts. And worth every penny of that a day if they are good.

Never mind the walls - find one who can do a good ceiling ...or go for artex all round :LOL: . What`s £300 in an average £180k house . The days of cheap labour, and thankful for it , guv. are gone . Recession or not.

£180.00 is cheap for a skilled tradesman who has trained for years, pays for advertising, has a few grand invested in tools, finances his van and runs the thing at huge expense, has no sick pay, no holiday pay, gets no pay when he can't work due to bad weather, hopes and prays he will get paid by all his clients and still remains chirpy :D

£180.00 is cheap for a skilled tradesman who has trained for years, pays for advertising, has a few grand invested in tools, finances his van and runs the thing at huge expense, has no sick pay, no holiday pay, gets no pay when he can't work due to bad weather, hopes and prays he will get paid by all his clients and still remains chirpy :D

well said!

people think,oh thats expensive cos they dont take into account the tools invested in to do the task.so its not just the labour youre paying for and i think £180.00 is about right,i try and get £200.00 when work is ok but at the moment i am working on slightly lower figures.

I am in Reading and my Builder charges between £120 and £180 a day for his time depending on what he is doing.

If it's skilled it is higher (he is a brickie by trade), if it's unskilled its lower and I think this is fair( digging a foundation). He would also be a bit cheaper if he was here anyway. e.g. recently built me a garage and did a few extra bits for me whilst here with his tools!

Chippies have been between £150 and £200. Spread was £200. Roofer about £150 to £180. (all introduced to me by my builder and all good). Most expensive was the electrician at £40 an hour plus parts!

I should add that the Builder, Chippies and plasterer were not VAT registered but the roofer and electrian were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back