Builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a house and had a homebuyer survey done which picked up on a few problems, the main one being at the rear of the property thers is damage to some of the lintels above windows and doors, some of the window lintels are over 1 metre long and there are smaller windows upstairs, We had a builder round to give an estimate for replacing the lintels and he said he would have to take all of the wall down to replace the lintels at a cost of between 5 and 6 thousand pounds, Is this repair not possible without taking the whole wall down or am I too suspicious?
Mo

Sponsored Links
Depends on type of lintel and construction of house. Is it a metal framed house, or timber framed or traditional masonry, or a big glass house, or concrete frame?? ;)

The building is made of brick and the internal metal reinforcing bars are starting to rust because some concrete is missing.
Mo

Ok so its a brick/block tradition house, how many storeys?
The lintels are concrete on all the windows?
Which direction does the wall in question face (north, west etc)?
Any signs of cracking internally in walls around the windows?
Are the floors timber or concrete?

Sponsored Links
It has 2 floors
dont have a clue if they are all concrete as some are covered by render
No signs of cracking internally
Ground floor cement screed lais over a damp proof membrane with asphalt finish, upper floor timber
Mo

Cavity walls or solid? and how many windows? also any bay windows?
Also any restrictions on access to wall? could be put up scaffolding with ease etc.

Cavity walls
5 windows, 2 doors
no bay windows,
easy access
We rang up the surveyor today and he said he was surprised that the wall had to come down and if it did then the maximum price should only be £1500, So I guess I was right to be suspicious
Mo

I would agree with the surveyor, removing the whole wall did seem a little extreme. If they are just concrete external lintels that need replacing then its quite a simple job.

moshaw
after all that ..lol..lol..lol :)

you really should get a few estimates, maybe 3 at least an then let the builders tell you what THEY think .....!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back