Building a big swing in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
Interested in any links/ideas/suggestions for building a large swing in the garden for the kids (who have outgrown the little metal framed one) and also me!

Current ideas are either to try and go for a sort of a-frame construction with some long-ish poles either side leaning against each other to give more stability at the base or alternatively two thicker poles (maybe old telegraph poles or something similar?) simply concreted into the ground to a couple of feet or so, then a scaffold pole fixed across the top to support the swing. The second way would be simpler, but I'm wondering about the stability of the structure as the swinging takes place - there'd be a fair bit of force pulling the structure laterally as the swinging took place... maybe safer to add a couple of supporting struts too?

Anyone got any ideas of minimum diameter poles I'd need - or would I need to speak to a timber yard to get an idea of the supporting weight possible from a given diameter/type of wood?

Sponsored Links
try a fencing or landscaping supplier. they should be able to get you machined round poles. they normally come in 50/75 and 100mm diameter. Depends how heavy you want it, but i would suggest a minimum of 75mm. yu can then bolt them through to form the frame with threaded bolts, set the bottoms in concrete and its easy to set up the swing off the central timber spar. dont forget to put plenty of playbark underneath!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back