Building a brick walled lean to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im just wondering if this will need planning permission and building control, or if it will even be allowed at all, as I see there is a rule about extensions on the side of houses fronting a road.

Basically at the moment I have a garden wall that runs down the side of my house, my house is only three years old and so is the wall, so everything is all pretty new.

At present there is a slightly triangular space next to my house thats about 3m wide and is pretty useless, as it never gets any sun and just seems to be a dump for rubbish. Access is through the gate from the small bit of path that is mine / pubic street / road.

I have a road that runs in front of my house and also a road that runs down the side.

Basically what I want to do is just put a roof on this space, concrete the floor, replace the gate with a door, and put a wall on the garden end (as at present its walled in from three sides), and putting a door in that wall into the garden, so like an covered alleyway with a door at each end I can securely store things in.

I want to convert it into a shed, its not big enough to be a garage, just a shed to put stuff in, as mine being a modern house doesn't have any storage at all.

This is a Sketchup iv drawn of what id like to build, the yellow coloured wall and door frame is the only one that isnt there at present, the rest of the walls are already there. Id like to do it in the same style as my house, and the way my porch has been done, with a tiled roof and white wood on the edges.

Sponsored Links
You would need Planning Permission and Building Regulations Approval.

You would need Planning Permission because it is facing a highway.

You would need Building Regulations Approval because it is attached to the house.

How high is that wall on your boundary?

Ok thanks :) , I thought as much, the wall is about the height of door frame, so about 2 metres give or take a few cm. Its two bricks thick, and looks like you could run a car into it and it'd still be standing as its pretty substantial.

Sponsored Links
I would think you may be granted planning permission though keeping the roof pitch lower may hep your chances.

If you avoided attaching to the existing and kept it within certain limits then it would be classed as an outbuilding rather than an extension but probably still needs Planning Approval as the chances are (seeing as your house is three years old) the planners will have restricted what you can do without having to apply for Planning Permission.

Yes if I did a flat roof you wouldnt be able to see it at all from the road, but id like to do it properly, and add value to the house in the long run, as it has no storage at present, so I want to build it to look look similar to the garages and porches on other houses, as they are all new build.

Where can I find details about regulations on wood thickness for beams, walls , floors etc, or do I need to ask building regulations about my particular case ?.

On the internet?

Really, have a good search through the millions of posts on this forum as many of your questions have all been asked before, then ask specific queries after doing a little research and we will be happy to help. but saying where is a guide to building this and what are all the regulations is like asking how long's a piece of string.

lol sorry I just wondered if there was a central location, like a website where it all wall listed with pdf's to download under each subject e.g
roofing - then all the requirements listed on that page, as I know when I was doing cabling inside there was a document that listed all the required cable sizes for each thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back