BUILDING A CAR PORT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My DIY knowledge is pretty good with having done plenty of projects not just for myself but for other people as well with no problems.....yet

I have plenty of space at the side of my house which is crying out for a car port. A car port would be good because the sun hardly ever covers that part of my property which means it more often than not is always slimy. At the minute its a complete waste of space so i want to maximize the space.

I know i have to attach a wall plate to the side of my house for the rafters to sit on but what kind of supports do i use for supporting the opposite side. Having looked at a variouty of car ports local to me, it seems that there are 3 to 4 main stands which support the outer wall plate which the gutter is screwed into.
Do i use timber stands and then attach the outer plate for the rafters to sit on or do i use RSJ like stands. With all this in mind how do i attach the stands to the floor. Do i use for the timber stands, them square like cups which are screwed into the concrete and then the timber is just simply placed inside the cup. As for RSJ's, do i dig a blood big hole and concrete them in etc.

I have never dealt with this side of building before and with me being a perfectionist im not one for rushing head on into that big bright light.

Anyone body who can guide me would be fantastic, cheers all

AndyP :?: :!:

Sponsored Links
heeellloo andy and welcome :D :D :D

a bit light on information there ;)

total width length choice of roofing material would help

RSJ's are over the top.

Use galvanized steel tube for the posts - something like scaffold tube

You can buy a special bracket for bolting timber and steel posts to concrete base, or dig a hole. An same for the top to fix the timber eaves beam

2 or 2.5m spacing for the posts should be OK

I built one last year, a fair size. All in galvanised steel.

Rafters were at about 15degrees, from 127x76 UB (rsj) With end plates welded on to bolt straight to the wall.

The outside end bolted onto 80mm box section posts. The exising concrete was plenty sufficient, so they had baseplates and bolted to the concrete.

Purlins were 2" box section.

Its a proper job, and sot some flimsy blow away rubbish. Looked a little bright at first, but with a few hanging baskets, plants etc looks very smart now.

Sponsored Links
B & Q, have a series of guides usually just inside their main entrance.
There is a very good leaflet on this subject amongst them, gives all the information you need

you can get one that cantilevers of the side of the house without any other supports needed. i know Masona has posted links to it before, im sure he'll oblige when he toddles along (watch out for the metro on the roof as well!)

Here one of them ;)

Not cheap though

This is for Thermo :)
images

a fantastic response thank you. This was my first question since i joined. The canopy without the supports looks great but how much do these bad boys cost. All they are, are bits of plastic but i bet the cost runs to nearly a grand plus. I have emailed various companies just to establish costs because you never know. If they are going to mug me then i was thinking of going the timber route because i have been talking to some people this afternoon and working with timber is so much easier. The good thing is i have plenty of options now so again thank you

AndyP

par1sons said:
The canopy without the supports looks great but how much do these bad boys cost. All they are, are bits of plastic but i bet the cost runs to nearly a grand plus.
About 5 yrs ago they were out of my price range when they first come out, might be cheaper now just like double glazing, let us know the quote and the size if you ask them to give us some idea ;)

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE PRICE QUOTED :mad:

Email from supplier (vision blinds)

Hi, Thanks for your enquiry,
The price for a carport that size would be £3200.00 Inc
:rolleyes:

The size was 8m x 2.5m. I once worked in a double glazing factory and the cost for buying the plastics from a plastic supplier wouldn't even touch £300 for building a carport the size i require. I know it has to be erected but anyone with any know how will do it easy. The carports do look nice but at that price....ON YA BIKE SONNY

I think i will be building my Carport myself. :eek:

a wee but unfair par1sons :D :D ;)

these are coated structural steel if it where plastic the first bit of heavy snow it would come down ;)

As mentioned, you get what you pay for. I'm now wondering is it possible to make one similar?

Unfair?????

not sure i agree, sorry.

How can they justify that amount of money. There is no way on gods earth that the running costs amount to even half the amount of £3200, the other half of £3200 must be for fitting. Im assuming that the cost includes labour, therefore £1600 for a 3 hour job....come on. If they could supply and i install then maybe £1500 is a workable sum. Even at £1500 my gift of the gab would have to resurface itself. Lol

This is a great Forum i only wish i had discovered IT months or even years ago. Such fast responses, its great.

Cheers all

AndyP :D

i wouldn't pay that either :D :D

i would think about half that i would be happy with ;)

although being a chippy a load of fence posts and 6x2" treated would be on order ;)
total materials around £300

par1sons said:
How can they justify that amount of money. There is no way on gods earth that the running costs amount to even half the amount of £3200, the other half of £3200 must be for fitting. Im assuming that the cost includes labour, therefore £1600 for a 3 hour job....come on. If they could supply and i install then maybe £1500 is a workable sum. Even at £1500 my gift of the gab would have to resurface itself. Lol
Do they supply to diy only :?: , having said that, they might knock £50 off :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back