Building a motorcycle ramp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a concrete ramp next to and including my front steps though the angle is rather tight. Is this a viable option as it is from the pavement in the front of the house. The ramp will have to be about three feet vertical and a good 20 feet in length I guess and I think I will have to widen the entrance way by a couple of feet on the right hand side. This will involve taking away from the wall on the boundary and then the earth to build a ramp on .

Attachments

• 20230519_182048.jpg
    20230519_182048.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230519_182030.jpg
    20230519_182030.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230519_182042.jpg
    20230519_182042.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230519_182035.jpg
    20230519_182035.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Unless you have low ground clearance select first gear and ride up the steps.

We need better pictures and an idea of the bike’s abilities.
Obviously it makes sense to build it for the next bike as well.
Some kind of diagram showing the slope ratio and distance.

sounds obvious but make sure the ramp is positioned so you don’t wipe your hands off on the wall.

OK thank you for your observations but no ideas yet! The route will go to the right of the steps that's an angle as I can't go straight up the steps as the front door is right in front of that. It's a big bike 650CC's and pretty heavy. So it has to go to the right of the steps basically if you want to go up the steps and turn right that's where the bike has to go. So I have to cut a bit of the wall on the right until the ramp there I guess.

Absolutely no expert but general comments
your bike will be perhaps 3 times heavier
the handle bars will be perhaps 6-10" 150-250mm higher in transition up the slope
your body will be perhaps 500mm wide plus bike plus handlebar overhang
i expect as a guess you will need perhaps 4x the strength to manage the same bike but purely a guess

Looking at the second picture, I think the only chance you have is to take the ramp off at an angle from the steps, (say 45 degrees to the right. No way are you going to get the ramp alongside the steps and then sharp turn right at the top, certainly not with a 650cc model.
If you can go at he angle, when you get to the top, (assuming there is space), you can then push the bike backwards on to the path parallel to the pavement. But then you would need space at the top to turn the bike around as getting it down backwards would be a nightmare.
More photo's of what is to the right of the steps, especially that piece of pathway, may generate more ideas.
At the moment, it's not looking too promising/

Why does it have to go to the top of the steps? Why not dig out a parking space and build a new retaining wall?

But then you would need space at the top to turn the bike around as getting it down backwards would be a nightmare.

I had limited space, where I parked mine, to turn it around - I learned to simply spin in it's own length..

Safest way, is with it on the centre-stand, placed on a sheet of galv steel. You lean the bike over, so the entire weight of the bike is balanced on just one leg of the stand, both wheels clear of the ground, the bike spins easily then. The galv. steel sheet has much lower friction, than concrete or stone - just makes it easier to rotate. I have heard of some spinning a bike round, by balancing it on just the side stand, but I would be wary of doing that, with a heavy bike.

Consider getting an aluminium extrusion that you can bolt down rather than filling in the steps with cement etc.
That way it can be removed at a later date (i.e. if you move house) with little remaining evidence.

There are examples on the net of how they do this for cyclists in places like sweden etc.

There are various ways to overcome the slope, not all are cheap, easy or that safe.
Do you own the house land?

you could loose 3-6 feet of wall and dig into the garden to create a slot that gives pavement level access to park, possibly with a gate secure enough to make the bike safe.
If the bike is parallel parked to the wall, a slide out tray can mean it only needs to be pushed in.
Obviously digging the garden 3 feet deep needs a retaining wall.

I’ve seen home made turntables to spin bikes in small spaces.
Not exactly safe but a mate uses a Lidl/Aldi electric winch to get his bike up onto a workbench.

If you have fabrication skills (rather than building ones) then look at self loading motorcycle ramps for inspiration
They are drill powered and both drag the bike up to the height of an American pickup, then correct the slope to horizontal
you might be able to diy one but the big ones use oil filled worm drives which is maybe excessive for a diy project.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back