Building a Patio base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two parts to my garden, one which I have decided (with the help of you guys) to deck and the other part will be patio'ed.

There is currently a shed there with a concrete base. Around the shed there is soil that has recently been turned - now the concrete base is probable 2.5m x 1.5m but the area I want to patio is 3.3m x 3.0m.

My question is - how do I build up a the soiled area around the current base?

It was grass which has been turned and is now just soft soil.. what is the best way to make a base for my patio?

Thanks again - I will be sure to post before and after pictures - so you helpers can see how I did!

Sponsored Links
It is i'm sure not what you want to hear but any soil that has been loosened up at all will have to come out and be replaced by hardcore.

Ideally you want to replace it with MOT type 1 compacted in 3 inch layers but that may not be realistic depending on how deep it is.

How much do you have to make up?

That is what i was wondering, how to extend the current base out so i can lay ontop of that? The base is surrounded by soil/turf.. So do i dig it out and put the hardcore or MOT in and build it upto the current level of the concrete base?

Do i need to get one of the plates machines to compress te soil and hardcore down?

Sponsored Links
yes it needs to be compacted with a vibrating plate.

How much do you need to make up if you remove the turned over soil

ok then MOT type 1 compacted with a vibrating plate in layers of 3" deep, feel free to bulk it out with any rubble or hardcore you need rid of but MOT is cheap.

If you do use hardcore fill don't just throw it in, plate a layer of mot then lay rubble in a sort of crazy paving style with at least 2" gap between it then more mot over the top.

The if you only leave small gaps there is potential for voids as the mot doesn't filter into the gaps.

thanks again for your help - im really glad it all makes sense as i normally read this stuff and it seems like its in chinese - thank you for 'dumbing it down' for me!

i will post photos once i have completed the task!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back