Building a Patio for a Hot Tub....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am going to be be building a patio for a hot tub. What is the best way of doing this? I have a very clay soil so i am thinking of removing it, digging down, filling with hardcore, a layer of sharp sand and then the flags dabbed with mortar - is this the best way? A couple of other questions;

1) where do you get hardcore from and what grade will i need?
2) the patio will be alongside another patio, should i do it level with it or slightly higher incase it sinks?
3) Is a whacker plate neccassary or can it be done without?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
a hot tub filled with water is very heavy. You be better off with a concrete base and put a slight fall on any areas exposed to the sides of the tub.

a whacker plate would do a better job on the hardcore.

How deep would you go with the concrete?

Would it be possible to lay flags on top of the concrete to match a patio next to it?

I went 150mm deep concrete mat(well mostly concrete with a rubble base). The mat is 6 ft sq with 2x2 slabs on top to raise the base of the tub from garden level. No idea if it will be adequate as i've not put the tub in yet. Estimates by myself are about 1 1/2 T tub weight when full. I am used to working with big heavy things offshore so i think 1.5 tonne spread over a 5 Ft diamater circle will not be a problem at all, good luck.

Sponsored Links
we normally do a 150mm base with mesh reinforcemnt for hot tubs.

Its also worthwhile doing some research into the particular concrete mix you wish to use. There are many different mixes depending on the strength of mat you wish to achieve. I did some research using good old google and learned more than i expected to.

A starter
http://diydata.com/materials/cement/cement.php

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/mixing_concrete.htm

P.S i went for a C35P mix.

But in saying all that, i don't think it would matter if you take Thermos advice and go for steel rebar reinforcing, wish i'd thought of that in january..... :( but still :LOL:

a normal c20 mix with mesh reinforcment would be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back