Building a shed in the back garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On our street, many of our neighbours have 'garages'. I use that term loosely. Officially they're advertised in the house sale listings as garages, but a garage to me is something you can get a car in & unless you're driving through the house there's no way you'll be able to get a car in them. Unless it's the worlds thinnest car, about 3ft wide & can get it down the side of the house.

From the looks of it out of our back bedroom window, i would imagine everyone had one of these. It just happens we don't & ours is a small wooden shed.

Somewhere down the line i'd like to have this knocked down in place of a proper built shed & probably a bigger one.

At what point would i need planning permission?

Would i need it from the get go regardless of what i'm building? Or only when it gets past a certain height/width/floor area space?

I wouldn't want it any longer/wider/higher than what our neighbours have. If anything perhaps a tad smaller but same height.

Sponsored Links
Look up 'curtilage buildings' on the Planning Portal - it's all there regarding sizes, heights, floor areas etc.
Also check with your planning authority that there are no restrictions (ie withdrawal of permitted development rights).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back