Building extension nightmare Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right then I’m looking to do a full two storey extension to my house but after reading the planning booklet I seem to have some problems and was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice.
Right, a bit of detail – Iv got a 3 bed detached house in a housing estate which is on a corner going into a cul-de-sac. There is ~2m to my boundary on the side of the house (which is next to the path by the road into the cul-de-sac) which I would like to extent to.
After reading the council booklet they require 1m from boundary ( this as far as I can work out is to stop you going to your neighbours boundary but I don’t have one just the path and road!) and the extension needs to be offset by ~1m from the from face of the house (this seems to be about keeping the house in proportion to the other houses and matching of bricks but the houses are various sizes on the estate and I have matched the bricks) . Now if I was forced to do either of these things then it’s pointless I do the extension. Has anyone got any experience about planning and if I would be able to get consent for a full front to back extension and out to my boundary.

Sponsored Links
First you have to find out if the 1m set back from the front, and in from the boundary are fixed in policy or just guidelines.
Normally the actual dimension is not fixed, but is a guide in how to acheive other planning objectives - ie prevent terracing, being subservient, not over dominant or bulky

1m to boundary normally only applies where there is an adjacent property, and not open space

A set back from the front is to give subserviency to the extension and lower the ridgeline. But 1m is excessive, and there are other ways to achieve this.

Pop down to your local planning dept with a sketch of your proposed extension and ask them if they think it would be permitted before you send in plans for approval.
Most are very helpful and will give you guidance on how their office thinks.
They will not be able to guarantee approval at that stage but will certainly advise you if it will be refused on the spot.
Pete

First step although sounds like you may have done this already is to have a meeting with them, with plans in hand and find out what they would accept. Alternatively you’ll need to read up on planning law, there’s books out there like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planning-Ga...1622053?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178267839&sr=1-5
Find out if anyone close to you has done something similar. You could invest in an hours time of a planning consultant, some specialize in contentious sites and areas and they know planning inside out, phone up a few local architects and see who they use or try the yellow pages. Above all else never get angry or abusive they can be a law unto themselves sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Well thanks for the reply I will have a chat with an architect.
Yes I did pop down but they were fairly useless just kept saying get the drawings and submit them but as you can imagin I dont want to waste money on a lost cause.

goooba769 said:
Well thanks for the reply I will have a chat with an architect.
Yes I did pop down but they were fairly useless just kept saying get the drawings and submit them but as you can imagin I dont want to waste money on a lost cause.
You can do a pre-application submission which won't cost you anything as long as you can provide reasonable scale drawings of what's current & what you propose. The planning officer will respond in writing but the response can only be regarded as advice & is without prejudice to a full application.

Many authorities now require a fee , payable up front for informal advice .

Some in the Berkshire area wont even enter into correspondence

Thats rubbish. You have already paid via your local rates, so go and demand to talk to a planner at no additional cost.

Ask what the Local Government Ombundsman has to say about their charges

^woody^ said:
Thats rubbish. You have already paid via your local rates, so go and demand to talk to a planner at no additional cost.

It is no bullshit at all.

It is what I do full time .

Many councils have now taken that stance .

You can go in and have an informal chat with them , for what its worth , but many will not enter into written response offering advice without payment .

The thought that it should be free is great , but that isnt how it is unfortunately

Robert too said:
^woody^ said:

It is no bulls**t at all.

ewr

Many councils have now taken that stance .

You can go in and have an informal chat with them , for what its worth , but many will not enter into written response offering advice without payment .

The thought that it should be free is great , but that isnt how it is unfortunately

What do you do for a living, ( charge people for advice ) ?

Robert too said:
^woody^ said:

, for what its worth ,

Like NHS Dentistry :LOL: :LOL: ...... 3 things in life are assured .................Death , Taxes AND Beauracrats multiplying.....Allright for a pension with the council , are you :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

you guys seem to have taken the wrong end of the stick ,

I am self employed just preparing drawings for houses and extensions .

Sorry , i should have introduced myself , i trust it is ok to post in this forum as an outsider ?

I never meant rubbish, as in not true, but rubbish as in should not be happening.

It needs to be challenged to prove its legality, as although seemingly getting more prevelent as a money earner, it is a dubious practice.

Local authorities are charging for more these days. My rubbish bin now emptied every 2 weeks, £15 charge for large up lifts. I don't know about the planning department, but I think they would charge foe what ever they can.

Now that the lib dems are out I will wait with baited breath and see if the new council will revert back to the old as they said they will.

CD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back