Building Fire regs staircase from kitchen

The habitable question is a red herring. The stairway must exit via a protected stair or corridor direct to outside and not through any room - habitable or not. If you have escape from all the first floor rooms you are OK. Planning aren't interested in technical issues. It's a building control thing and they should have checked that alternative escape was suitable.

;) ;) ;) Appreciated John ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Do consider that Building regulations aside, the kitcehn is a high risk area and should a fire start in there anyone in the upper room will be trapped! Also protected fire escapes, need to stop the passage of smoke, though I'm sure you'll gave fitted an interlinked smoke dectector to landing and kitchen? Infact check your drawings have that notation if they don't I wouold suspect they have not not been submitted!

Interlinked with battery backup is still required isn't it?

Sponsored Links
Can anyone give me a basis rundown on any regs re fire protection in a house where the stairs lead up from the kitchen.

It's a five bed house on two storeys, the kichen has doors of to the dining room hall and outside. Their is no door to the stairs ie they are open top and bottom.

Mains smoke and heat detectors have been fitted, no fire rated doors

Yes they have battery back up, and I can asure you the plans have been submitted and passed, the build included taking off a 25 ton concrete flat roof, adding a second storey and 2 beds above, adding a 2nd bath, knocking three former cells into one, complete rewire the other FIL is a sparky, adding a utility room and knocking the kitchen through, new boiler, new drains ;) plus the whole lot including the original biscuit tiled house reroofed. I don't think you can get away with that without approval :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back