Building on exisiting floorplan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought a house in Somerset and in the garden it has the floors of some outbuildings that were built in the early 1900's to house pigs. The building are approx. 12ft x 20ft and were demolished in 2003. The footprints of these building are on the ordinance survey map/plan that we received from the solicitor when we bough the house.

My question is can I rebuild sheds of the exact same floor size or do I need planning permission again. Is there a height limit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say shed, will these be for purely domestic use eg hobby's, diy, or car storage etc? Or is there any commercial reason you need them for eg for storing pigs?

If they are purely domestic outbuildings then you can build up to the limits as set out here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/ provided your property still possess all of its Permitted Development rights, which it more than likely does.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its for domestic use/storage but the land its on doesnt come under the residential curtilage of the house. The house was built in 1977 and the garden and buildings is still under 'agricultural use' as the whole plot was part of a farm in the 1940 when pigs were last kept in the buildings. I suppose I need to get the buildings and garden changed to residential curtilidge?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just a side note and for the purposes of Planning... if a building is demolished and then re-built (even with the same footprint), it is deemed as a complete new build and not a "replacement" building, which would therefore attract all new build Planning policies, etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back