Building own kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a very good book (hopefully!) on building your own kitchen cabinets by Jim Tolpin. I have looked at kitchen prices and some seem ridiculously expensive. I am looking at an oak shaker style. I live in Yorkshire. Does anyone know of any good sources of oak or perhaps oak veneer for the cabinet sides? What would you recommend for the sides and back? regards Paul

Sponsored Links
The only problem with a lot of those books is that they build kitchens differently in the USA

Depending on budget for the carcases you could use woodgrained MFC (melamine faced chipboard) Oak veneered MDF which will need a finish applied or you can get pre lacquered veneered boards but they come out quite expensive, I just bought 21 sheets for a kitchen and it cost just over £2000.

Jason

Jasonb, hopefully the book won't be a waste of money even i don't do anything this time around. Bought it following reviews by cabinet makers who did warn of the atlantic divide.

Do you have a link to someone who sells pre lacquered veneered boards?

Whilst bespoke may be expensive,as indicated by nodeall, if i was to simplify the construction i.e longer shelf runs and forego sidepanels between cupboards and expensive shelving in favour of a handmade outer shell i do think it will work out cheaper. My kitchen is approx 8m long and don't want wall units if i can help it: it is a single storey extension with low ceilings. This I think lends itself to me having a go. Can't say i am not concerned which is why i am still looking at bought units, but feel like a challenge. One thing for sure I won't let it be a dogs dinner.

Sponsored Links
Edens have several branches around the country and do the finished boards

The one I just finished had no wall units, just a few solid oak shelves and a larder in the corner with big fridge/freezer built in. Also managed to remove an old false ceiling to gain an extra 11" of ceiling height. Not quite finished but heres a few pics, you can see the board inside the corner cupboard.

PICT0281.jpg

PICT0284.jpg

PICT0288.jpg

PICT0290.jpg

PICT0300.jpg

Jason

Jason

:D As xerxes says beautiful: if not gorgeous in its simplicity. Presume you handcrafted everything? Are the draw fronts 1" think with mortice and tenon (looks like it)? Who did the lime paintwork? Wife isn't too sure about it! Did you use the veneer throughout all the shelving then? Out of interest, where the draw fronts end, is that where you have put cabinet sidewalls or just run through?

The drawers look as if they're comb jointed (or perhaps dovetailed, but I can't tell from those pictures). What's impressive is that arrangement of those drawers must be very unforgiving of alignment errors, so you must be very confident of being able to get it right.

Are you just trying to make the rest of us feel inferior?

Expensive - I have just purchased a 16 unit large kitchen from B&Q Traditional Oak Style.
It was completely planned, we went back twice when we thought of other ideas and they again went through it with us on the CAD designer and tweaked the plan.

All in all with the offers they have instore with half price doors and cabinets it came to app £1450 - they also gave me another 15% off that price so I walked away with it for £1245.

Well Happy.

Draw boxes are from 15mm solid oak with dovetail joints to all four corners running on tandem runners with blumotion. The fronts are 30mm finished thickness european oak in 90mm wide mismatched strips biscuit jointed together.

Carcases and the internal shelves are oak veneered board, exposed shelves are solid oak.

All done by me except plastering, gas/aga, electrics and the granite. Units are all handmade and work out a bit more expensive than B&Q - without appliances you would need to pay about 50 times B&Qs price for what you see there and close to another £20k for the appliances but there was a lot of building work to take it from this

PICT0168.jpg

through this

PICT0263.jpg

to get the finished item

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back