Building Regulations to make a house mortgage-able?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I am in the process of buying a cottage which the survey deemed would be unsuitable for a mortgage in its present condition.

The report identified some issues with damp which we are going to sort but also pointed to the extension which it describes as 'system built' of 'light-weight timber frame' and one room is single-skin brick (single-storey).

My question is this: is it building regulations that we need to meet in order to make the home mortgage-able for future purchasers (i.e. insulate and weatherproof the single skin wall, strengthen the timber frame if needed) or do surveyors have their own set of prejudices which we have to guess at whether or not building control are happy?

Sponsored Links
The basic rule of the mortgage approval system is " Could we sell the house for more than the amount of the mortgage ? "

The big companies have set in stone rules that are processed by computors, anything out of the ordinary will be turned down without any consideration.

Smaller companies can have a more personal approach where a human being looks at the appllication and makes the decision.

In this case the surveyor for the home report declared it unsuitable for mortgages, nothing to do with the mortgage companies, so they must have their own criteria.

But what you're saying is that it might meet building regulations but be denied because it's not bricks and mortar throughout?

There are some basic requirements for mortgageability - i.e. a working kitchen.

A lack of building regulations is unlikely to be a massive red flag on it's own, depending on what it is.

Some mortgage companies are very hesitant to lend on buildings with an "unusual" construction - https://www.gocompare.com/mortgages/unusual-construction/

Sponsored Links
If someone is stating that it is not mortgageable, then they should be detailing exactly why and what should be done to deal with that.

But what you're saying is that it might meet building regulations but be denied because it's not bricks and mortar throughout?
Houses don't have to be bricks and mortar throughout or timber frame construction would not get a mortgage.
My question is this: is it building regulations that we need to meet in order to make the home mortgage-able for future purchasers (i.e. insulate and weatherproof the single skin wall, strengthen the timber frame if needed) - it sounds like that .
or do surveyors have their own set of prejudices which we have to guess at whether or not building control are happy?
o_O - nobody should have to guess at what would ' make building control happy '. Surveyors work to the same building regs as everybody else :!:

Conveyance solicitors regularly ask the vendors for Building Regulations documentation, seeking approval for work that (even a chimp knows) falls outside of B'regs remit. Just a money making exercise, for the most part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back