Building simple BBQ on uneven tarmac 'path'.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently posted re: advice on brick laying skills - whilst I'm looking into a few local courses I want to commence with a simple brick BBQ in the back garden.
The only place I can place it is against the back wall of the house (next to patio doors) - this will be a pretty simple affair as we probably won't be in the same house as of next year. I've found a few guides online so I'm relatively confident I can pull this off (something like this):

http://www.acheson-glover.com/community/build-a-brick-barbeque.asp

Simple grill and charcoal kit (if I can find one cheap enough) and an 'extension' to the side for various 'implements'...and most likely alcoholic lubricants : ) (I'll use a small slab and may tile this in a few slates of granite etc)
I'd also like to place doors on there, although that would no doubt complicate matters...

Question is, as the base will be on slightly uneven tarmac path (which goes around the whole house) should I be thinking of building a base first or just level with mortar?
Also, might it be worth grabbing a 'bricky tool' for this job or due to the low key nature just grab a decent trowel and level (would I need a set square too?)

Most likely be starting this weekend - will pop to the local brick merchants and get a few prices (after the common/rustic type brick).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think I've answered most of my questions over the last day or two...just think I needed someone to 'hold my hand' not knowing any brickies I can ask round for a bit of advice.

Although compared to the vast majority of jobs on here, this is obviously very low key. That being said, I'd like to do attack this as correctly as I can and not make any short cuts as it's 'just a BBQ' and hopefully this will bode well for future, larger projects.

So...I'm going to build directly on to the tarmac (will adjust slant via mortar) and won't build a base (that was more of an aesthetic issue than anything else). I'll build the back directly against the house (at least that line will be level!), though I was half thinking of using the back wall as the back of the BBQ...not sure it would look as good however.

I have the grill delivered tomorrow, but have already measured out the first level of bricks (dimensions given). I'm also building a side section for various 'implements/booze' et al (slightly lower than the main BBQ - see linkie below) and will top with either slab or get it tiled/slated.

http://www.acheson-glover.com/community/build-a-brick-barbeque.asp

My query is that the middle line of brick (breaking up the main bbq and the extension) won't be perfectly lined up with the back line of bricks...if that makes sense?
Also, will I need to add any rebars...one or two designs suggest so...
The side of the BBQ will follow the line of the side wall of the house...the brick look like 'rustic common' but that's probably romanticising them a little. Suffice it to say, the pointing looks like it was done by a couple of rabbits high on something Columbian...but I suspect that's probably the style?

I'll probably top with the same patter of bricks but have a darker (and 'un holed') brick or use half bricks all the way around (as long as you can buy half bricks...not sure if I've yet the skill to cut so many in half).

If the barbie is likely to be more permanent than the tarmac then you would be foolish to even consider building upon tarmac. I personally don't like the idea.

Anyhoo, build the barbie independently of any other structure thus limiting the damage caused by spitting fat etc.

Where bricks don't tie into the run (as it were) use tie wires to achieve a bond.

If the barbie is likely to be more permanent than the tarmac then you would be foolish to even consider building upon tarmac. I personally don't like the idea.

Anyhoo, build the barbie independently of any other structure thus limiting the damage caused by spitting fat etc.

Where bricks don't tie into the run (as it were) use tie wires to achieve a bond.

Gulp! I was all set to build on the tarmac tomorrow - I can only guess the problem would be that the tarmac would 'buckle/subside' under the weight of the tarmac? I really have nowhere else to put it to be honest! I guess I'll just have to wipe away any fat from the house wall behind (that or put some outdoor splash screen up).

The main BBQ will run 4 x 3 bricks and 12 levels high - this per the instructions that came with the BBQ grill kit (although it states a 2 brick width for some reason - the pictures on the website clearly shows 3 bricks, which look a lot better). Then I'll build a 2 brick by 2 brick extension (shorter height) to use as a 'table'. I'm guessing this is the section I use rebar/tie wires (on every level?).

Other than that, there doing an offer at the local builders merchants - a type of 'rustic' brick for around 25p (I wanted to keep this as cheap as possible without using ugly bricks).

Cheers Noseall.

Sponsored Links
As a novice bricky you will struggle to get level and square unless you start from a good flat base (defo not tarmac). Try to work the design in full brick you cant buy half brick unless damaged. Although after a little practice and cussing, a good bolster and lump will cut most brick of the type you want, just order a few more than you think. Good luck. Dont touch the lube until you finish or rustic you`ll get.
Oh and did you think of the charcoal/sausage fumes going in thro patio doors?

As a novice bricky you will struggle to get level and square unless you start from a good flat base (defo not tarmac). Try to work the design in full brick you cant buy half brick unless damaged. Although after a little practice and cussing, a good bolster and lump will cut most brick of the type you want, just order a few more than you think. Good luck. Dont touch the lube until you finish or rustic you`ll get.
Oh and did you think of the charcoal/sausage fumes going in thro patio doors?

Ahh, I see. I really don't have any other choice. To be fair, the tarmac isn't all that 'skew-whiff' - perhaps over the area I'm to brick (2 and 1/2 bricks) it dips by 1/2 inch. I managed to concrete in a child's swing set in tellytubby like sinuous grass a year or so back and build a shed on a downhill slope, so I should be ok I think. The only other option is to set a base of paving slabs on the tarmac...but this is really only a test project. If it ends up really terrible then I'll pull it down before we leave the current house.
Price wise, I can probably get most of the bricks for around £25-£30, add the concrete/sand on top of that (and trowel!) and perhaps a few tiles or engineered bricks for the finished top then we'll have done ok on a budget.
Actually, this BBQ will be in exactly the same position as the old BBQ we had (standard metal DIY store model) and the patio doors are from the kitchen...
I'm fairly certain I'll be settling on a 'width' of two and 1/2 bricks (that way only every other level will require a half brick - the two brick width is simply too short.

My other query is building it directly against the back wall of the house or leaving a gap of (for example) a cm or two??

I'll be sure to post any pictures folks :)

In this instance I`d say gaps are good.

Cheers - couple of cm's do the trick?
In the meantime (seeing as the brick merchants were closed today) I've started to take off the top layer of tarmac - seems to be a little less porous and might help (from what I've been told). Seems a little tougher below that 1cm of black porridge :)

Well, I've picked the bricks up - a rustic red...almost looks like they're made up of the bits of bran flakes you get at the bottom of the box. I'm assuming I'll have to be careful getting them messy with mortar?
Still, they're easy enough to split in two (tied a couple...almost perfect first time - decent bolster helps). Due to a tight budget these bricks were just about my only option (25p per brick)
Having a bit of trouble finding tie wires though.

Also, is it necessary to build up each corner to (say) 5 levels before filling up to the line? Is there a way to use a 'plumb' line (the horizontal version?!) without one of the those 'brick mates', otherwise I can't see how I would fix the lines to each end of the bricks.

On a side note...I wished to place a couple of 'bar shelves' on the very top layer (brick sets) - the one's you would get on a kitchen bar (attached to the base rather than the wall), or failing that a glass shelf attached above the BBQ itself (high enough to be just out of the heat). Any issues with putting such shelves outside??

Cheers.
Will post pics when it's up and running (erm, hopefully in time for the World Cup!)

Well, I completed this job over the weekend. I must say I really enjoyed it, crossed with a dash of frustration (like many, I see myself as a perfectionist and when you don't have the knowledge and experience...well, it's a recipe for stamping your feet).

I chipped away at the tarmac for the base, making it a little more level and built it an inch away from the wall of the house (again, not ideally placed but there was simply nowhere else to put it).
I used a Rutland rustic red (based on cost and, um, 'rusticness'). Not a bad looking brick but prone to having mortar stick all over it's rough texture.

I used a general concrete (5:1 with sand) and added washing up liquid as a plasticiser (trying to cut costs down again). Only wish I'd hired a mixer...completely did my back in mixing in a wheel barrow. The earlier mixes of concrete (at least on the first day) were probably a little too 'dry'. I added more water to the mix the second day and I felt this was a lot easier to work with. I felt I was overly concerned with getting every single brick level (horizontal and vertical), rather than placing three bricks and checking the overall level (again which I later did making the job a little quicker). Unfortunately doing this, I took my eye off the ball and the vertical facing columns, although level on the horizontal are all over the bl**dy place on the vertical...an 'arghhh' moment. I may place some metal cornering (1m x 25mm x25mm) over these to cover it up...but it's not entirely essential. It doesn't look that bad and fits in with the 'rustic' nature of it. I suppose I could also/instead add a couple of steel doors to the front of these vertical fronts thereby covering up the 'wonk' and having a bit of a storage dept below (for coals etc).

I've popped a couple of photo's below. Since they were taken I've brush down some of the excess mortar with a wire brush and may [carefully] sponge some of the rest down with brick cleaning acid...I may also re point (I used a hose pipe for most of the original pointing).

Suffice it to say I would've greatly been benefitted from a: having someone with me who knew what they were doing and b: taking a brick laying course to set out some of the fundamentals (especially as I hope to have a crack at an extension, possibly next year).

But...it's been 'test driven' and works and I'm relatively pleased with the outcome....

Criticisms welcome :)

ps - spot the glaring mistake (well, the more obvious one) in the 'extension' part of the BBQ below:

BBQ1.jpg

BBQ4.jpg

BBQ3.jpg

For a first attempt, OK. We`ve had juniors doing far worse after several weeks of practice. Now you are realising what the probs are that we aimed you at initially. It aint the prettiest, but it works, you nearly enjoyed it, the steaks look good. I`d say a success. Thanks for sharing the result.

I bet that young lady has to struggle to reach that wine on that high shelf.

Anyhoo, looks wise it will not win any beauty contest but i guess it is practical.

Why did you use block paviors to finish it off instead of some solid Staffy blues? Straight nick as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks all.
Actually since those last pics were taken I wire brushed off a fair bit of excess mortar from the bricks. I would however like to know if it's feasible for me to knock out a bit more and have a go at repointing? The other side (not facing the camera) fared a lot better for some reason (I seemed to pay more attention to the pointing on that side) - certainly not perfect but, funnily enough, matches the pointing on the house (which is quite old...). That will need little, if any, repointing.
I've had a lot of very positive comments off mates/laymen etc...but it your expert opinion which helps in the long run :)

For all the research I've done (this forum, youtube vids, various guides) none can really make up for having somebody with you guide you through the process (which I didn't have). Consequently, parameters such as concrete mix, a couple of verticals I didn't keep my eye on where a little out.
The first concrete mix I did was fairly 'dry'...the second day I made it a fair bit wetter...still not sure which was the right mix - I was going for a 'cake cream' texture. Also, when placing the mortar bed, the mortar didn't quite 'seep' out of the ends of the brick, more pressed out from the middle meaning the ends had gaps where mortar should be (having to use my fingers to 'press' mortar back in.

Still thinking of adding steel doors to the front section for both storage underneath (will need to add shelf) and to 'mask' over the vertical wobble...good/daft idea?

'Straight Nick' = forgetting to use overlapping bricks?? Aye...couldn't believe it when I saw it...far too late to do anything about.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back