Building Survey V Structual Engineering Survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Once again I seek your expert advice.

We are hopefully buying a detached, six bed, three storey 1930's property and unsure which kind of survey to go for. I have read so many conflicting views on paying out for a full structual survey. It seems the majority of people are saying the building surveyor states the obvious and recommends getting other companies in if they "think" there's an issue. I read today about using a structual engineer instead. They said they do a more thorough job and the reports are more indepth. Has anyone done this themselves?

Many thanks
Kate

Sponsored Links
With the amount you are spending on that property I would have thought that you would want a full structural survey.

With the amount you are spending on that property I would have thought that you would want a full structural survey.

That's why I'm asking advice on wether too go for a full building survey or a structual engineer survey ;)

A full structural survey will go into huge detail and will initially scare the living daylights out of you.

According to the full survey on our house that we sold last year it was riddled with damp and woodworm, the roof was about to collapse and one of the walls wasn't attached to the house.

I knew the house inside out having refurbed every room, replaced the kitchen and bathrooms and had done all the work myself other than the wiring. I knew what was wrong with it, and the survey didn't actually pick up those faults.

The buyer then spent loads of time and effort getting quotes for all the rectification work which ended up only being a small amount of damp.

By contrast, the homebuyers survey that we'd had when we bought the property had highlighted all the significant defects, was more than adequate and didn't scare the living daylights out of us.

Sponsored Links
A "Structural Survey" is carried out by a structural engineer (or person suitably qualified to comment on structural matters) and is a specific type of survey. A structural survey report will normally just comment on the main structural components. Specifically, signs of movement or distress. Not much else.

A "Full Building Survey of Condition" aka "Building Survey" would normally be done by a building surveyor, and should comment on the above, but also most other things about the property - timber work, plasterwork, damp, rot, infestation, life of materials, any past work done, suitability for alterations, cost and priority of any work required etc.

Sadly, what has become common is for building surveyors to see, say a structural crack, and not comment on it for reasons of competency/experience or insurance, and so then recommend a further report from a structural engineer. Likewise for dampness.

I'd say what you want is a full building survey, but by someone who can and will comment on structural matters - which should be standard and at no extra cost

To achieve this, you need to go to a firm and clearly state what you want, and maybe not just have one of their off the shelf standard surveys if it wont include comment on structural issues . Tell the surveyor that you want a full report, and expect comment and advice on structural matters and any movement without referral to a structural engineer. Tell them that you expect diagnosis of cause and implications of any structural movement or distress, and suggestions for possible remedial work as necessary as part of a comprehensive report.

You'll need to weed a few of the surveying practices out. Don't be afraid to talk to them and ask questions and tailor your survey. If a firm wont do what you want, then look for another.

A "Structural Survey" is carried out by a structural engineer (or person suitably qualified to comment on structural matters) and is a specific type of survey. A structural survey report will normally just comment on the main structural components. Specifically, signs of movement or distress. Not much else.

A "Full Building Survey of Condition" aka "Building Survey" would normally be done by a building surveyor, and should comment on the above, but also most other things about the property - timber work, plasterwork, damp, rot, infestation, life of materials, any past work done, suitability for alterations, cost and priority of any work required etc.

Sadly, what has become common is for building surveyors to see, say a structural crack, and not comment on it for reasons of competency/experience or insurance, and so then recommend a further report from a structural engineer. Likewise for dampness.

I'd say what you want is a full building survey, but by someone who can and will comment on structural matters - which should be standard and at no extra cost

To achieve this, you need to go to a firm and clearly state what you want, and maybe not just have one of their off the shelf standard surveys if it wont include comment on structural issues . Tell the surveyor that you want a full report, and expect comment and advice on structural matters and any movement without referral to a structural engineer. Tell them that you expect diagnosis of cause and implications of any structural movement or distress, and suggestions for possible remedial work as necessary as part of a comprehensive report.

You'll need to weed a few of the surveying practices out. Don't be afraid to talk to them and ask questions and tailor your survey. If a firm wont do what you want, then look for another.

That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you very much. We will go for a full building survey and discuss our worries beforehand as advised. Thanks again x

Kate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back