Building timber window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have a large double-glazed unit (80x200cm, no frame) left over from patio door replacement that I'd like to use as a window in a shed/workshop I'm building. The most useful guidance I've found so far is this little diagram from David Stiles' Sheds book.

Won't bother with muntins, but I think I can handle the joinery here. (Though any comments welcome.) Should I make the space for the glass a few mm bigger than the glazing all the way around? Mostly I'm wondering about sealing. In the diagram below I've coloured red where I'd expect to put clear silicone sealant, and blue where I'd put some sort of tape. Does that look right?
And if so, is this the sort of tape to go for? - link

A couple of other questions. Can I rely on the silicone as adhesive for the beading or also nail in? And when I fit the frame into the wall, using spacers to fill gaps between window frame and wall frame, should I fill gaps with expanding foam? (Gripfill?)

That's probably it for now, though suspect other questions will come up soon enough. I'm probably plunging out of my depth with this.

Cheers
Kev

Sponsored Links
Needs to be taller than glass so in can sit on raised pads to prevent it sitting in water, also a few drain holes from base of glass to the ouside to drain any rain getting thru.
You have it back to front, beading on the inside , more secure and simpler to seal the outside as there is only one seam to seal.
Needs no sealant on beading as it will be inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back