Built in oven doesn't fit, HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently refitted the kitchen and as there are pipes running all the way round the room (the waste pipe and pipes for the central heating), when we slot in the new built in oven it protrudes a couple of cms. This is without leaving gap for ventilation. The manual states 35mm for ventilation, meaning the oven will stick out a 40-50mm? Any ideas on how to solve this.

Also we have a rubber gas pipe at the back of the oven to connect the hob to the gas feed. Will this be dangerous when the oven heats?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could fit unit flush with wall, just provide some air circulation via louver vents and perhaps a small bathroom type extractor fan to circulate the air, I would not worry about the rubber gas hose this will be butyl rubber lined and should stand the heat.

Wotan

Your only option is to move the pipes. Ovens require the full depth from the front of the housing to the wall behind.

Gas hob on a flexible hose is wrong as well.

Recently refitted the kitchen and as there are pipes running all the way round the room (the waste pipe and pipes for the central heating), when we slot in the new built in oven it protrudes a couple of cms. This is without leaving gap for ventilation. The manual states 35mm for ventilation, meaning the oven will stick out a 40-50mm? Any ideas on how to solve this.

Also we have a rubber gas pipe at the back of the oven to connect the hob to the gas feed. Will this be dangerous when the oven heats?

Thanks

Can you not make some circular cuts if they will be hidden by other units to accommodate the pipework? I used a spotlight cutter to solve this problem when installing my ikea kitchen, as they dont leave a service gap behind the units!

Sponsored Links
You need to redirect the pipe work, it's your only option.
You have central heating pipes behind an appliance that needs ventilation, so heat can be dissipated :rolleyes:
Come on a bit of common!
Get rid of the rubber bayonet fittings and have it connected up in copper.
If the waste can be direct straight out from the appliance they serve do that also.

Or, get another oven, they are not all the same depth, so get your tape measure out and shop around

Gas hobs should be connected in copper in the UK. Should not be run in rubber hose at all. ;) ;)

Gas hobs should be connected in copper in the UK. Should not be run in rubber hose at all. ;) ;)

I was under the impression that braided flexi hoses had to be used due to potential movement of said oven, as well as for hygiene reasons to clean under and around the oven.

With the flexi hose also comes a wall bracket which the device is chained to, so it can not "pull" on the hose.

Or is this only for commercial applications?

Gas HOBS should be connected with solid pipe. It is permitted to fit an oven with a flexible pipe (of the correct type and the right way around!)

Gas HOBS should be connected with solid pipe. It is permitted to fit an oven with a flexible pipe (of the correct type and the right way around!)

some, but not very many gas hobs are indeed allowed to be fitted with a flexi hose. I still would think hard plumbed is better and gawd knows why you would want a gas hob on a flexi. not like your going to want to take it out to clean underneath.

You need to consult the manufacturers instructions to see if its permissable

My last hob [freestanding , sitting on worktop] was connected via flexi, no other way to fit it, but as to the question have just fitted a kitchen and had pipework all round and waste pipe directly behind the oven, you need to plan ahead and design out the problem.I used an extra length of my oak worktop and ripped it down to form upstands which pushed out the units enough to clear all the pipes.So you need to move units forward to allow clearance.

take it from me you can not connect a hob with a flexi connector flexi connectors are made to pull out freestanding cooker a rubber hose is an at risk and would if seen by me be disconected you must also fitted an inline gas cock to allow for servicing without turning offat ecv.
If you doubt that this is true and a at risk appliance ring this number
08004085577 this is gas safe they will confirm what i have related to you so all you ppl who think its fine and are saving money not getting a poor struggling gas fitter to install this correctly be warned if i ever visit your house the gas hob is going off

foxhole by the way you say there was no other way to connect it well if you plan ahead plan it out you can disconnect plug in connector and put it in in 15mm copper tube as you are meant to so pay a registered gasman in future even a hob and cooker are notifiable
so if you are fitting kitchens for a living who is doing your gas and electrics and aredo you notify local council for gas electrics and fan extraction to outside air

Peekay53, sorry mate but ur wrong!

Mi have the last say. Believe me, there are gas jobs on the Market that can be fitted via a flexible hose and therefore are not at risk. I don't want to start an argument but you cannot say they can't if ur not 100% sure. I was shown this by a acs tutor. Mi overule bs full stop. I would love to tell u the make and model that can be fitted via a flex but I just can't remember.

Ps. If u ever come across a hob fitted via a standard bayonet flexi hose, I would ask u to think twice before disconnecting it! Chances are that it has been fitted wrong as 99% of gas jobs require rigid pipework, only very few are allowed to be fitted with flexi's. Best to do ur research and check the mi as you'll look a right ass if ur wrong and the customer willnot be happy

Peekay53, sorry mate but ur wrong!

Mi have the last say. Believe me, there are gas jobs on the Market that can be fitted via a flexible hose and therefore are not at risk. I don't want to start an argument but you cannot say they can't if ur not 100% sure. I was shown this by a acs tutor. Mi overule bs full stop. I would love to tell u the make and model that can be fitted via a flex but I just can't remember.

Ps. If u ever come across a hob fitted via a standard bayonet flexi hose, I would ask u to think twice before disconnecting it! Chances are that it has been fitted wrong as 99% of gas jobs require rigid pipework, only very few are allowed to be fitted with flexi's. Best to do ur research and check the mi as you'll look a right ass if ur wrong and the customer willnot be happy
well beezo i am wrong am i well am afraid i am right and you are wrong you know there are some gas hobs that can be fitted on flexis well i have never come across one and although mis overrule you can not use that as a defence if you contravene regs i will stick to my guns i am not ending up in court cos some idiot wants to save 10 min by not hard plumbing gas hobs and will continue to advise customers that unless they have it in black and white in mis i will continue to AR such installs and woory about being called too cautious later CYA cover yer arse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back