Bulging Gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to purchase a 1930's semi and have had a structural surveyor look at the porperty. he has reported that the gable end is bulging approximately 7cm and owuld recommend rebuild.

Is 7cm too signifcant to simply be a replacement of wall ties/lateral restraints job? or could that work?

I am concerned about the costs of rebuilding the wall - any clues as to estimated costs if this is the only solution

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Can't really comment without details of construction etc. Photo would be useful.

well i can attempt to get some photos

it is a cavity wall construction

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/15-duckworth-road/prestwich/manchester/m25-9gf/28491018

this is a link to images on the internet i don't know if they would help

and the engineers has said the following:

'the wall is brick cavity wall construction
the first/second floor wall undulates in/out by about 75mm. the wall ties should be examined and the wall rebuilt true and level

the ground to first to second floor stairs are against teh gable elevation hence the gable wall is nt fully tied back to the house along its full elength
when the wall is rebuilt provide lateral restraint straps at first floor, second floor and gable eaves

at first floor there is evidence that the wall adjacent to the hall window bows outwards by over 25mm'

I am a complete newby to this and don't really understand what it all means and want to make sure i don't get ripped or or that i get the house for the right price if i proceed

thanks

He seems to be saying that because the gable wall has the stairs against it, the wall isn't tied into anything and that when the wall is rebuilt it should be tied into something. He doesn't specifically say he's investigated and found it's not tied into the house, just seems to suggest that because the stairs are where they are (which is where they will be afterwards) it isn't. He's saying it's basically a free standing wall at the moment, whereas it should be attached to the rest of the house. Obviously there will be a limit on where you can improve the connection because of the stairs but this isn't an unusual layout for a house.

You would need to get a number of builders to quote for the work to find out the cost and maybe also a structural engineer to come up with something which will work.

Sponsored Links
Providing the brick joints are stable then 75mm deviation (in/out) isn't in itself particularly significant and, given the age of the property, there's a decent chance it will get no worse over time. BUT, you have to bear in mind two things; firstly you can't be certain of that. The wall and gable isn't well tied so there is a chance you will get further movement. Secondly (despite any further movement or not) you will be facing the same issues with potential buyers when you come to sell. So, if you like the property my advice is to negotiate a suitable amount off of the asking price to cover the works. Then decide whether to carry out the works now or put the money aside so you can do it later if the movement gets any worse or when you come to sell. (except you won't - you'll spend it all on sweets and chocolate)

From that description it is not clear to me if the surveyor is saying it is just the outer leaf of the cavity wall bulging or the entire wall. The former would be wall ties and the latter lack of lateral restraint.

Very rough cost to rebuild, the former £2k - £3k; the latter £5k - £10k

Could someone please enlighten me.....what is a "structural surveyor"? I keep seeing this name used but I have no idea what profession/qualification it actually is. Even Google cannot help.

Could someone please enlighten me.....what is a "structural surveyor"? I keep seeing this name used but I have no idea what profession/qualification it actually is. Even Google cannot help.
Just a phrase made up by someone not in the trade.
Just like some call anything more than a valuation a Full Structural Survey.

Is that really what a "structural surveyor" would report? Basically measure the distortion (which the owner can do) and say that wall ties should be examined (by who, another surveyor?) and restraints should be examined (again by who) plus the wall rebuilt without saying specifically why other than it's wonky?

There used to be a standard type of survey called a 'full structural survey' but the term was dropped by the RICS years ago. Apart from a valuation report there are now three levels of survey; Level one - condition report, Level two - homebuyer report and Level three - a building survey. Hardly anybody understands this (another stellar job by the RICS!) and definitely nobody understands the difference between them all.

There are dozens of different types of chartered surveyor - chartered building surveyor (the best type) chartered quantity surveyor, chartered environment surveyor - but there is no such thing as a chartered structural surveyor. This only applies to the RICS of course. A burger flipper can set up as a structural surveyor and start offering services tomorrow. People who measure windows call themselves surveyors. But none of them can call themselves 'chartered' - else the RICS heavy mob will nail them to a wall.

thanks for the help everybody - we are now getting a builder to look at the job and quote so we can move on

i must say the structural survey seemed a bit of a waste of time on this point as i already knew it was bulging and could have just got an engineer or builder in straight away

but then he did help clear up some other potential problems which actually were not problems

well you live and you learn

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back