Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Plus?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this stuff? I just found a post on MyBuilder which suggests you could use this to go straight over gloss paint, without needing to sand, and then you could put whatever water based paint you wanted over the top - say Satin or Eggshell...

It sounds very good, I wondered if anyone here has any first hand experience with it?

Sponsored Links
The main use of sanding is to get rid of the old brush marks and contamination, giving you a smooth keyed surface to repaint.

See I'm sanding for two reasons now - one is that, the second is to key the gloss to take something nicer (imo). Surely a primer and then paint would cover any dodgy brush marks, so could I just sand out the run marks or something?

Sponsored Links
Sanding is necessary when painting over a gloss surface, particularly oil based, if you want to guarantee good adhesion and minimise the risk of peeling in the future. It is also good practice for use with other paints, as well as helping to remove brush marks and imperfections.
The Bullseye does work well, but you have to allow it time to fully cure before it achieves full adhesion to glossy surfaces. Even though it is touch dry in under an hour, it does not become fully cured and adhered for (up to) several days - this means if it get knocked or scraped, it can still peel. If you use it, wait until you can run a fingernail over it without it scraping away before applying the topcoat(s). If you have plenty of time to wait for the primer to fully cure you will probably be fine to skip sanding, but I still always sanded lightly before using Bullseye to help adhesion and allow me to start the topcoating sooner (usually next day).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back