burglar alarm goes off when i turn leccy off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help? i need to change a light fitting in the boys bedroom and have to turn the electricity off to do so. but every time i do the burglar alarm goes off. can i disarm it?

Sponsored Links
Pound to a penny, the sealed lead acid battery in the panel is completely dead, and when you cut the power to the panel, it doesn't even have enough power to run the bell hold off on the bellbox (the bellbox has its own battery)

It will do the same thing in a power cut, etc

You need a new battery, if its under maintenance (which I guess its not) then you'd need the firm to come out, if not, feel free to do it yourself, the panel will go into tamper when you open it, but put in your code to shut it up and then get on with replacing the battery, be careful of the incomming mains terminals when doing so. Batteries can be sourced from any good wholesaler or electronic parts store/website (Maplin, RS, etc), be sure to get the same capacity as your existing battery

Sponsored Links
This is probably a really stupid question. if i take the battery out will the alarm go off?

How do you think that removing a dead battery will make any difference?

Pound to a penny, the sealed lead acid battery in the panel is completely dead, and when you cut the power to the panel, it doesn't even have enough power to run the bell hold off on the bellbox (the bellbox has its own battery)

The battery in the outside bell box is obviously OK and powering the siren, its the battery in the main panel which is dead, and when there is no power (mains or battery) to the panel the outdoor siren will go off. simple really.

The battery in the outside bell box is obviously OK and powering the siren, its the battery in the main panel which is dead, and when there is no power (mains or battery) to the panel the outdoor siren will go off. simple really.

Always amazes me how even the crappiest looking old bell boxes still seem to have working batteries, despite their age and the weather conditions and temperature extremes they are subjected to.

Amazes me why people leave the useless old things on the wall at all.

Lets face it - an ancient bell box on the wall is a sure sign that the property has no alarm, or it hasn't worked for years. Probably means that plenty of other things have been neglected as well.

To Adam 151
There is a green light on on the control panel and the outside box has a green ticker-style light which runs along the bottom which is working okay.
Does this still mean the battery in the control unit has gone?
We have had power cuts recently but the alarm hasn't gone off

Had the same problem recently and it was the battery in the main panel (in the attic). Battery cost £8 and I replaced it easily. No probs now.

Blod

To Adam 151
There is a green light on on the control panel and the outside box has a green ticker-style light which runs along the bottom which is working okay.
Does this still mean the battery in the control unit has gone?
We have had power cuts recently but the alarm hasn't gone off

It will do when the power is on... I bet when you turn the power off at spur/dist board the LEDs on the panel go out totally (with a healthy battery a power failure will cause it to drop the supply lamp and light the fault one instead)

Change the battery ;)

I can't find the main box. Is it the one with the lighst and the keypad on or is there another box somewhere else in the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back