Burning Shower Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks. Had a small ext done about 7 years ago which has a bathroom with an electric shower. Looking at the install certificate, the shower is on a 10mm cable.

I think the shower is a 10.something kw.

My eldest daughter has started using the shower and takes FOREVER. Once in the shower for a while the room the switch is in begins to smell odd. I have traced the smell to the switch and it gets very hot. It’s always gotten warm but it has never been on for this length of time.

I’m going to replace the switch today as it looks like part of it is has melted.

My question is, with the length of time the shower is running (30+) minutes, is this inevitable that there will be excess heat?

I’ve read all the threads about making sure the terminals are firmly secured and I’ll check all the cabling but would be good to know if this is something that will happen again.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
just taken the switch off the wall - here’s a photo

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Cheers. I just wasn’t sure if it was the length of time it was now running that was the problem, or if it should be able to run for hours without issue.

As indicated, cut back the wires where the insulation is crispy, and strip back the insulation at the ends.

If the bare copper ends look black, and you can't shorten them any more, clean with wire wool or similar.

She didn't cause it.
Don’t worry, I know she didn’t cause it - I was just unsure if this was a “time limitation” of the setup or if there was a genuine fault. Happy to say a new switch has been installed and I’ve shortened the cables as there was quite a bit of cable in that back box.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Now, I like a long shower, but even I wouldn't be in there for 30mins....

Swap the shower for a thermostatic one that runs off the boiler.

I did that with ours and never looked back.

Mira do a great range of magnaflo showers that work really well on our low pressure.

And it will be much cheaper to run!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back