Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I fitted a Triton Topaz T100si electric shower. It has always worked perfectly until today. Last week I noticed a slightly musty smell in the bathroom after I had a shower, but it went and I took no further notice. This evening the same smell returned and smoke was coming from the shower.

On removing the front cover I discovered that on the main brown cable the insulation had clearly started to melt with heat on bothe the mains cable and the shower cable, The block connector these are joined in was blackened and distorted.

Any thoughts, the cables appear tight. Could the probem lie in the shower unit or in the mains cable or a problem with the connector block?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a poor connection with one of the conductors in the terminal block.

Any thoughts, the cables appear tight.
Of course they bloody do, they have melted and welded together!!

It could have been a loose connection.

Either way, no point debating it. You should replace the damaged wiring in the shower and cut back the mains cable to clean copper/plastic.

Put up a picture and we'll tell you if you can save it.

Sponsored Links
is there any slack in the T+E cable at all? will it pull down the wall a bit?

if it will then you can pull it trough a couple of inches and cut it back to clean copper.
a new terminal block and a new bit of tri-rated in the shower itself and you're good to go..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back