Burried gas pipe caused large plaster crack - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Happy New Year to everyone.

We're in the process of doing up our 70's build house. In the living room there is a gas fire, with the gas pipe burried vertically into the exterior wall.

Along the whole length of the gas pipe there's a large (3mm) crack in the internal plaster (which is grey...not sure why).

I assume the gas pipe has caused the cracked plaster, but I'm not entirly sure why it's happened. The pipe itself appears to be covered in a yellow resin and is burring directly into the plaster.

I am planning to skim the whole wall, but would like some suggestions on what I should do to strengthen the cracked area to stop it cracking again in the future.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Burying a gas pipe in a plaster skimmed wall doesn't seem like a very clever idea, especially if you want to hang pictures.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

The pipe is only a few mm's under the plaster. I could try and remove the existing plaster but worried about damaging the pipe or the yellow covering (which I'm guessing is acting like denso tape would do).

Is bonding that much stronger to prevent future cracking?

Sponsored Links
Jackrae the pipe was burried in the wall 40 odd years ago, but once I crack this other project I'm working on for a flux capacitor I shall pop back to 1975 and let the house builders/gas fitters that they aren't very clever ;)

Gas pipe that is chased into walls is allowed only if the gas pipe is protected from plaster/cement corrosion.

The chase run can be covered with a steel plate. Max. chase depth 1/3 of the wall thickness.

Only vertical runs are allowed - no horizontal or diagonal runs allowed.

Compression fittings are not allowed in the chase.

Have people actually read my original post or are they just spamming general answers to build their thread count up??

Do you demand answers for free from your solicitor?

Have you actually read the answers?

:rolleyes:

Thanks alastair, I've gone down the route Steve suggested an channelled out around the pipe and filled with bonding. I'll tape the area before I skim it too, better more than less to prevent the crack coming back.

I wasn't demanding anything Joe... but I don't see the point of posting information that (while factually correct) bares no relevance to the situation in the post.

You just said that you went with what Steve said. Why do you expect more than one person to say the only and obvious fix? It's a forum, not a free technical service.

no, just that some people appear to be posting random advise that had nothing to do with my query.

what's your purpose here joe? got any advice to offer on the subject or are you policing the forum? thought the mods were there for that.

I'm saying that you were given the right advice by Steve, a long time regular. Why do you need the info over and over again - just do what he says. If you don't like the other posts then ignore them. It's pretty simple really. :confused:

The other post that you don't like was about gas regs - would you want an illegal installation?

Yes Joe, i took steve's advice.

I wasn't looking for any further replies. What i didn't get was why people kept posting information that, while correct, had no relevance to my situation or original question.

I don't doubt the factual correctness of the posts, but the fact of the matter is that my question related to a previously burried pipe that was to remain unchanged - just be plastered over.

Hence my question, what would motivate people to provide answers to questions that weren't asked and aren't relevant other than blostering the old post count.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back