C/H chem flush question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im no Plumber, but id like to give my C/H system a chemical flush additive, and im pretty confident i could manage it, But id like to ask a few questions take the plunge and mess anything up, I have a pressurised C/H system with the rad system plumbed in microbore. The boiler was repalced last year for a WORCESTOR 24i Greenstar (not combi).
So my questions are as follows, Am i correct in thinking that i can drain a small amount from the system, then add the chemical cleaning stuff into the system via the highest radiator bleed plug ( i watched the plumber do this with the INHIBITOR) , then pressure the system up again, Then run the system for a time, and then drain the whole system down..........And the finally refill the system again and add an inhibitor........

IF the above is on the right lines, can anyone post some points to watch out for in terms of avoiding airlocks or damaging valves/boiler etc etc.............If my thoughts are way off the mark or even slightly wrong, ill get a proffesional to do it,

Sponsored Links
flushing, filling and draining are all on here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170&start=0

I am not a plumber either, but I found a Magnaclean was very good for trapping the black sludge that is loosened by the chemical - and carried on trapping it for months after (you never get it all out). It will cost you about £100 and you fit it on a vertical 22mm return pipe, after draining.

You have to drain as well, because some of the grime is non-magnetic.

Good idea to install a magnaclean on return, its easy to open and clean on a regular basis, especially if system is crudy. It also makes adding fresh inhibitor a doddle. When the system is running give the rads a whack with a rubber mallet and then have a look in the magna, (turn of boiler first).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back