Cable and Pipe Proximity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It occurred to me the other day that I didn't know how close cables and heating pipes can run as a general rule. I know about the rules in the wiring guidelines about down rating cables in higher ambient temperatures but I'm looking for a rule of thumb guide if possible.

The case that made me consider this is a 10mm cable that will be suppling a secondary consumer unit. At one point it will have to cross, at right angles, a couple of plastic heating pipes in the joist space under a floor. My plan was to ensure the cable ran as low down as possible and the pipes as high up as possible and then also insulate the pipes in that area.

In other areas I was planning to run the cables along one joist and the pipes in the next joist space over. Is that far enough apart?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Although, in my opinion, it's best to keep some distance between the two, pipes & cables running together, touching and following similar routes is commonplace.
You need advice from the pros on here, but as I understand it, the heat resistance that modern electricity cables have is far greater than the highest possible temperature from a home heating system.
Perhaps someone can confim this with some numbers, sure I've seen this in previous posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back