Cable confusion.

the freaky thing in pic 4 is a buckle clip. it's what you used to use to attach cables to walls etc before cable clips were invented. they are still available from some suppliers.
I'm not sure it's particularly freaky - everywhere you look in my house (apart, obviously, from visible decorated areas, from which they've been removed!) one finds whole or partial buckle clips! ... and, come to that, I was 'brought up on' buckle clips!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that the yellow isolator appears to be just an isolator, and if it is indeed powered from those Henleys as we suspect, then it damn well wants to be a FUSED isolator!

I also suspect that the coloured "tails" might be single insulated. I know that proper tails do exist with a coloured outer sheath but grey seems to be far more common so it probably wants looking at...

Sponsored Links
Ok the electrician/plumber :confused: came today. (I got him in to look at some plumbing and grabbed him for a chat about the electrics, so no testing was done).

He says there are two slots available on the consumer unit.

I mentioned that the yellow box is not fused and he agreed.

I turned off the yellow box switch and the oil burner still fired up, it has just occurred to me that I have no idea where the wires for the burner go... must revisit that.

I then mentioned that I wanted to run a single phase 18amp compressor in the garage.

He says that he could connect the yellow switch to a spare fuse slot in the consumer unit, run the compressor off that, or put a dedicated 20 amp breaker in (I think, I wasn't following him to be honest).

I then mentioned that I would also like some 13 amp sockets in the garage,
he said that in that case I could have a dedicated box fitted in the garage to cover all that - I think on a 30amp thingy next to the main consumer unit. I've forgotten the details because I am electrical illiterate!

Asked about a price but he said he'd have to price up the parts first, once I knew what I wanted.

Clear as mud.

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back