Cable for outside use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've already got an outdoor socket, however I need to spur this for a water fountain (another socket)

I've used 1.5mm armoured cabling for outside lights (different circuit), however my electrical cable is going to be ran under the decking so there is no chance of it being cut into at any point.

What cable should I use for outside use? I suspect normal 2.5mm cable will become brittle over time?

Sponsored Links
T&E cable should not be used outside. Despite the run being underdecking, frost will do in the PVC over a couple of harsh winters.

I would use NYY-J cable for this. You can use standard stuffing glands.

T&E cable should not be used outside. Despite the run being underdecking, frost will do in the PVC over a couple of harsh winters.
Although I know that some people have experienced that, I'm not sure how common it is, since I've seen PVC cable that has been exposed to harsh winters (and sunlight, which would be minimal under decking) for decades with no obvious problems.

However, I would certainly not use unprotected T&E in outdoor situations such as mentioned, not the least because of rodents - some of which seem to take delight in nibbling PVC!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you mean NYY-J then I've never seen it in Screwyfax, or any of the sheds.
TLC may be open, you'd need to check. Otherwise a proper electrical wholesaler, but tuesday's your earliest for them.

They sell the Time Tough in Screwfix but its only 1.5mm. Looks like I might be struggling unless I just use armoured instead :(

I can get hold of the artic stuff though so might be an option looking on their site

You can use armoured and if you're not sure how to glad it
otherwise you could still use a stuffing glad best to gland it properly though.

I have tried to find out. Nothing on Google.

It doesn't match the cable codings and no site specifies what it means - apart from the New York Yankees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back