Cable for outside use?

y ou can use armoured and if you're not sure how to gland it otherwise you could still use a stuffing gland

No you bloomin well do not. Oh its you going around doing stupid things like using stuffing glands on SWA and using a BS951 clamp to earth the armour is it...???

Bad Chivers.
SmackBottom.gif
Take 100 lines.
I must only gland SWA cable properly.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
T&E cable should not be used outside. Despite the run being underdecking, frost will do in the PVC over a couple of harsh winters.

I would use NYY-J cable for this. You can use standard stuffing glands.

What's NYY stand for TTC ?

DS
The N means its a VDE standard cable with copper conductors, the first Y means it has pvc insulation. The second Y means it has pvc outer. If it has a -J then it has an earth core, a -O no earth.

VDE cable standards.

What's NYY stand for

It's from the German VDE standards...

easterncables.com/Catalog_(Eastern_Cables)_Book.pdf

N - According to VDE Standard (VDE 0250 & 0271)
Y - Insulation or Sheath of thermoplastic based on PVC

The J means it contains a green/yellow core, but that's not listed on the PDF above, NYY-O cable is two core brown and blue though, or even single core.

Gaz :)

edit: darn it, beaten to it!!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
y ou can use armoured and if you're not sure how to gland it otherwise you could still use a stuffing gland

No you bloomin well do not. Oh its you going around doing stupid things like using stuffing glands on SWA and using a BS951 clamp to earth the armour is it...???

Bad Chivers.
SmackBottom.gif
Take 100 lines.
:oops: Certainly not me personally.

NYY-J is nifty and I do use it but the OD of the cable is huge, at least as large as the equivalent armoured cable. Faster to install though.

You will need a set of SWA glands (CW20s, if your cable is 2.5mm)

How to do it is well demonstrated here

You have made things more difficult by using SWA for this as you'll probably need some additional boxes at both ends, but it will be good experience for you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back