Cable in wall cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone any hints as to the best way of installing a TV cable in a cavity wall cavity, so that I don't have it on the outside, or on the inside?

Sponsored Links
you are not allowed to. :eek:
cant remember where i saw it.. B Regs or something... but not allowed to install any services water, AV, electrical etc within a wall cavity...
plus its bloody hard!

In that case, how did all my upstairs electrical services get to their boxes in my internal cavity walls ! (rhetorical, no reply needed, but probably more information needed from dabaldie !)

There are 2 issues that make running cable in cavities a bad thing.
A building regs one that you should not bridge the cavity in a way likely to lead to the ingress of water. This is a problem if the outer wall leaks, water runs down the cable into the inner wall and spalls the plaster.
This is not relevant if the cavity wall is not like that, or if you can guarantee the cable not to meander from one leaf to the other. Note wall ties are always made with a twist in the middle to drip water before it gets to the dry leaf.

The second is electrical - it is not possible to guarantee that the wall won't be filled with foam or similar, causing the cables to either decay or overheat if fully loaded. For an antenna cable, as the price of failure in service in service is irritation rather than a fire, as it would be with a shower circuit perhaps, I'd ignore the second one.

Usually done with string, washers and magnets, and a lot of patience, oh, and drop the string from the top down - gravity is your friend.
Sometimes at the bottom end, feeding in a big loop of old steel tape measure into the cavity before dropping the string improves the chance of capture.
If you have cavity trays it will be impossible without messing up the wall. Is this really the way you want to do it?

Sponsored Links
If it's any use, I ran my TV aerial cables into the cavity too. I sank a metal box into the inner wall skin, then with a 16" long drill bit, drilled at as steep an upwards angle as I could manage, until I popped into the wall cavity.

Then I used these mini rods from Screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/46/p2788846_l.jpg). Poked them in through the hole until they popped out in the loft space then pulled the aerial cable in afterwards. Worked a treat.

Screwfix Quote : 82483 (Best purchase I ever made !)

If you want to post a picture, highlght the URL and click the button.

[img]http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/46/p2788846_l.jpg

my mate was gonna send a cable through his cavity for a new cu in his loft conversion, is it ok to send armoured cable down the outside wall and what size would he need. cheers

size depends on rating. is this cable supplying a CU or supplying a circuit? Your question was very vague. please elaborate.

how big is the cu, what is he going to have on it? some have posted here about having electric shower on it, so yes it is too vague :cry:

That's 29kW - he needs to have the electricity supplier run in a new and completely separate supply....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back