Cable Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As this is my first post on this forum i would just like to say what a great help this forum and everyone on it has been.
I can usally find answers by searching and reading other posts,

anyway can anyone advise/help me?

I have two double sockets in my kitchen, one on the ring and one spurred off from that socket.

I wish to add two more double sockets either side of the existing two,
because of the cable routing and length under the floor i am going to run the two ends of the ring to the two new end sockets.
can i then run the ring horizontal to the two existing sockets between the new sockets or does it have to go vertical under the floor and along and back up to the next socket ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
why not put all sockets onto the ring.

go any way you like with the cable, but the norm would be vertical, be that up or down.

Actually, not quite anywhere you like. Cables should run in straight lines, either vertically or horizontally, from switches and sockets. This is for the benefit if the hapless carpenter who needs to drill a hole in the wall later. You have to give the poor geezer a decent chance of guessing where the hidden cables are.

Remember that the purpose of a ring main is to provide an adequate current handling capacity with the most economical use of cable. Spurs are incorporated if the ring would need to be drastically extended to include a particular socket. You should therefore try to find the shortest route wherever practicable.

Sponsored Links
felix said:
Actually, not quite anywhere you like.
my initial reply was tongue in cheek, since it also said they "should run vertical", never horizontal

Sounds as if he is going to ring all sockets. Ring ends to outer most new sockets. He want to horizontaly chase between these.

Horizontal chases are fine by the regs. Some people disagree, but it does comply. It is just a little unconventional.

I regularly run horizontal chases in conservatories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back