Cable Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am extending a kitchen and need to route cable. I understand that i can run cables buried in the wall vertically to the sockets, but not horizontally between them. can i run surface truncing attached to the wall under the work surface to join them? or do i have to go near the ceiling or floor and put them in the wall there?

Sponsored Links
They can go horizontally. safe zone is horizontal and vertical from fittings, as well as 15cm from any corner, floor and ceiling.

Sponsored Links
nicky, i told you, the cables can go horizontally between sockets. And it doesn't matter how deep or shallow or protected they are. Frankly, if you drill a hole between 2 sockets in plaster, you deserve all you get.

Nicky, Superspark was right mate, the safe zone don't include 150mm from floor. But u can run them horizontal ( as stated) between fittings. If that happens to be under the worktop surface, that's fine. As long as the cables run horizontal, or vertical between accesories, that's grand, basically. But having said that, also depends on your exact situation,mate. Sorry, I know that probably don't help much, but I'm pi**ed, lol

NICKY123 said:
Would surface truncing under worktop do (and meet regs). creating channels into brick is hard work!

If you decide to run it in surface mounted trunking you can run it anywhere you like up, down diagonal, what ever floats your boat. If you want some hard work and decide to hide the cables then the other posts apply so the next owner knows where not to drill ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back