cable selection for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
garage has an old T&E spur from the house I intend running an SWA cable to the garage,what size do I need

garage will have 1 circuit (ring main ) consisiting of 6 sockets, 6 100w lights
and quite possibly a small welder which I think can be run off of a 13a plug

anyone help

cheers

Sponsored Links
You don't mention the length of the cable run. Have a look here at calculating the relevant size.

Have you any unprotected spare ways on your house CU? Ideally you would run the relevant size SWA from your CU to the garage, where you would have a smaller CU with a circuit for lights, sockets and a seperate one for a welder if you can't plug it in. This may be a good idea anyway if there is a large inrush current from the welder. The sockets must be RCD protected and the other circuits may have to also, depending on your cable installation method.

However, there are also other things to consider, such as earthing types and whether you have any extraenous conductive parts in the garage. Is the garage connected to the house?

Still, at least no Part P to worry about...;)

Have a look here at calculating the relevant size.
When you use that calculator you must:

1) Tell it you'll be using 2-core, even if it will be 3-core

2) Tell it you'll be using PVC cable, even if it will be XLPE

or it'll give you an incorrect answer.

Sponsored Links
probably not, 6 lights just overcompensating for cable size,I've been off the tools for over 25 years and want to get the right cable in :)
You'd probably still end up using a 6A MCB with 1mm² or 1.5mm² on the lighting circuit usually - unless you had some huge lighting demands in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back