cable size?

Alan - please post a picture that includes your existing consumer unit, the meter and the tails. It would really help us help you

Sponsored Links
Are you supplying the (1-way?) RCD shower unit from an existing MCB in your consumer unit?
There is no space in the CU for another MCB.
sorry i meant there is space in the CU for another MCB
:rolleyes:

but the part i am unsure about is how to wire in the seperate RCD unit to the CU.
L&N from the CU into the RCD, L&N out to the shower switch... :confused:

Would it be right if the circuit is connected as follows, CU, MCB, RCD, shower switch, shower.
Not sure what you mean by "CU, MCB,....".

Im just unsure about the RCD location as they are normally before the MCB in the consumer units. Ive never had to wire in a seperate RCD yet for a circuit.
It'll work just as well after the MCB.

can anyone install a shower circuit with new RCD from the fusebox fitting a new mcb? i thought this was where a normal person had to then employ an electrician or at minimum a registered competent person?
I'm sure I've told you at least once that anybody may do anything - there is never a case where you have to employ an electrician, not legally have to anyway, although lack of competence may mean that it's not possible for someone to do a satisfactory job, and therefore they've got no option but to employ one.

or if a normal person does it, is it that they are then required to notify it?
If a non-registered person does it, even if they are a highly qualified and experienced electrician, they have to notify it in advance. It's a controlled service - just like any other activity which requires Building Regulations approval you apply for approval before you start the work.

Sponsored Links
but the part i am unsure about is how to wire in the seperate RCD unit to the CU.
L&N from the CU into the RCD, L&N out to the shower switch... :confused:

I knew that bit ;)

Im just unsure about the RCD location as they are normally before the MCB in the consumer units. Ive never had to wire in a seperate RCD yet for a circuit.
It'll work just as well after the MCB.

Thanks, that was mainly what I was unsure on. I did everything on satarday and all is working and testing fine, thanks for your help guys :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back