cable sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found 2 socket circuits wired at the mains in 2.5mm cable,at the various sockets the cable size is 1.5mm. There must be hidden junction boxes somewhere. The MCB used for each is 16 amp. I'm sure this isn't right. Do the circuits need to be re- wired or is this within regulation being the fact that the cable is 16 amp rated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the cables at the sockets are 1.5mm² - some of the old 2.5mm² used to look a tad on the small side, especially the stuff with 1.0mm² cpc in it.
Hidden joint boxes are not a good ideas and, if inaccessible, contravene BS7671 (if the screw terminal type)

Are you sure the cables at the sockets are 1.5mm² - some of the old 2.5mm² used to look a tad on the small side, especially the stuff with 1.0mm² cpc in it.
Hidden joint boxes are not a good ideas and, if inaccessible, contravene BS7671 (if the screw terminal type)

Cable sizes at the sockets are definitely 1.5mm. I know junction boxes contravene regs. Important point is; Although 1.5 mm used, is it within regs because cable is 16 amp rated and fuse supplying is 16 amp.
Many thanks

Rewire it.

It sounds like someone has done a right bodge.

Junction boxes dont contravene regs - they are perfectly acceptable, unless they are inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
The rating of the cable depends on how it is installed, grouped ambient temperature, rewirable fuse etc. There is also volt drop to take into account which limits the length.

1.5mm² is probably OK for 16A, but there's no absolute guarantee - do you know if it runs through insulation anywhere?

I take it this is a radial circuit?

You have a single 2.5mm² leaving the CU, and every socket has a single 1.5mm² running to it?

1.5mm² is probably OK for 16A, but there's no absolute guarantee - do you know if it runs through insulation anywhere?

I take it this is a radial circuit?

You have a single 2.5mm² leaving the CU, and every socket has a single 1.5mm² running to it?

One circuit is a radial and the other is a ring. Cable runs are'nt very long and there isn'nt any insulation.Junction boxes must have been installed somewhere and are hidden, 2.5mm at fuse baird and 1.5mm at sockets. A rewire sounds like the best idea though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back