call for help with long 32A SWA run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a static caravan delivered on monday and am laying cable for it from a 32A MCB. I had estimated the cable run at ~32m before the contractors built the base and dug trenches. Running up the old voltage drop calculator this told me that I would need 6mm2 cable for anything up to 36m so I bought 36m of cable knowing that I would need to keep it less than this.

Base built, trenches dug, location of CU in caravan carefully calculated and I start laying my cable. Argh, shock and horror I am about 7m short!!

Worse yet, if I am going to be laying SWA on what now seems to be a 45m run, and it can take 32A, I need 10mm2 SWA. This means that I can't even use the stuff I have already bought.

Reducing the overall max load to 20A, and using a 20A MCB would not be be a goer as electric heating will be required in the cold Scottish winters.

Has anyone got any useful suggestions?

Oh, and just to make things worse, the builders are supposed to be filling the trenches tomorrow morning!!

Sponsored Links
If you cannot get the cable sorted out in time before the back filling then you could lay in a duct large enough to take the SWA you will be getting after the trench is filled.

Would a 3kw heater not be sufficient to heat a caravan? or a few 1kw ones? I wouldnt think you'd need more than 3kw of heat, leaving at least 7 amps for lights, brewing, telly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back