Came to give estimate and wiring's dislodged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Man came to look at loft to refloor. I saw him tug some wires but didn't think much of it (as it's his trade). That evening I found all upper storey lights stopped working. I can't see that anything has tripped in junction box, there's nothing to reset. I mailed next day and he said he'd come following day, though he couldn't see that it was anything to do with him. Of course he didn't come. I've left message on his phone today - he might get it tonight - saying that if he doesn't come to fix it I'll have to get another person to do it, and he'll have to foot bill.

I don't know what's happened - presumably wiring has dislodged so there's no electric current to trip? Is this dangerous?

CAB said I should send registered mail requiring work within 14 days - this all seems very OTT. I know nothing about electrics myself, so a bit nervous to fiddle with wiring.

Has anyone else faced similar situation? He hasn't actually done any work - just came for a look!

Sponsored Links
Well, the wiring shouldn't have failed with a little tug. Actually if it was correctly fitted it would be clipped or have strain relief. So there's plenty of scope to argue it's not his fault.
I just think you'll be able to get him to have itr fixed but it'll be an uphill struggle. Unless you fancy the fight it might just be worth getting it checked out yourself. If you do give him the job, just knock it off his bill at the end and see how it goes ;)

That's a helpful perspective, thanks. The wiring up there is all over the place. I was going to give him the job but looking for someone else now. Thanks again.

If you are going to 'refloor' the loft, it's imperative that you get your (first floor I presume) lighting cabling sorted out to a good standard first.

In effect, he's probably done you a big favour.

Sponsored Links
He's not liable for accidentally damaging your dodgy electrics. It sounds to me that one of the supply cables has come free from the junction box. He would be liable for the damage if you'd hired him to do the work. CAB have misadvised you.

Actually if it was correctly fitted it would be clipped or have strain relief. So there's plenty of scope to argue it's not his fault

Not so. The work may have been substandard, but if he hadn't tugged the wires, then the lights would still be working, so he is responsible to correct the fault he caused. He should have replied by now, and said "sorry for that, but there's obviously more work to do than initially anticipated". By the very fact that he hasn't shows it's best to avoid him in future.

At the end of the day, it's going to be his word against yours, so the practical thing is to find someone you can trust to rectify the fault, and get everything checked over.

CAB were actually correct, whether you'd hired him to do the work or not, as it wouldn't have gone wrong without his intervention, but at the end of the day, it's a waste of time, and will just waste you more time effort and costs, you may never recover anything from him, yet keep forking out courts costs unendingly. Seasicks right, in that you know there's a problem to resolve, and if the wires he's pulled out had touched then things could have been worse.

Not so. The work may have been substandard, but if he hadn't tugged the wires, then the lights would still be working, so he is responsible to correct the fault he caused.
Are you sure? Let's change the example and see if it can produce a general principle. You visit someone house and have trouble flushing when you use the loo, you open the cistern and the whole thing falls off the wall. Loads of damage. Is it your fault or should it have been attached properly?

Good luck with the argument! No ones going to come out well from that one.

Its not about whether it was correctly or badly wired or if the tradesman did or did not cause the damage. Its about a duty of care owed by the tradesman and if he was negligent. It fails the legal test on many levels. It would be different if the tradesman had been contracted for some work as then he'd owe a duty of care or if the OP had said "please be careful my wiring is very old and I've no idea how safe it is" etc. or the OP had more proof that the tradesman deliberately pulled the wire out in order to cause damage, which on the face of it would be hard to believe as a tradesmen who did this might also be well aware that he could easily get electrocuted doing this.

The OP needs to find a competent person, to re-do the junction box that has been damaged and secure the cable that was pulled free.

In law - you don't have an automatic obligation to remedy accidental damage.

Sponsored Links
Back