Campsite Electrics Question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the power supply points at camp sites protected by an RCD at the outlet point, or should the user (ie the camper) have the protection built into their equipment? also is 10 amp the max allowable, as they use the blue 16 amp plugs?

:confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've seen many campsites where the supply is not RCD protected.

Golden rule is ... Look after your own safety ... Protect the van with an RCD.

I can't remember the max current but I'm sure someone else will know ;)

10A is pretty normal some have 16A, on the continent 6A is normal (but there is less need for heaters there).

new campsite installations would have RCD protection, but some older ones dont, either way you want your own as i wouldnt trust an RCD thats been sat outside for years (and the test button is only a partial test, and sometimes isnt accessible or generally has 1 RCD between a few points so you cant test it because it knocks of others electrics).

The current version of BS7671 requires campsite outlets to be 30mA RCD protected in not more than banks of 3. The caravan should also have an RCD.
The size of the supply depends on how tight the owner is. I have heard of them on as low as 6A before, not enough to boil a kettle!! The maximum size for a single 16A ceeform outlet is 16A.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
The current version of BS7671 requires campsite outlets to be 30mA RCD protected in not more than banks of 3.

Although BS7671 does not apply if you are camping outside the UK ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Thankyou for the replies

I am refering to UK campsites

so if the installation was done prior to the 16th edition, and was without a RCD, would it have to be updated, or is it still OK to use, assuming that the tap off is protected at the point of use?

The recommended inspection interval for a caravan site is annual, the report produced in line with the current version of the regulations. If the owner/operator doesn't do this or act upon the advice given on the report then they could end up in a sticky situation should they end up in the dock. I seem to remember that caravan sites are licensed by the local authority too, they may also have a requirement.

Hi ,
Had he anorak on the other night and posted this . :eek:

Section 608.
Protection against direct contact cannot be by placing out of reach, or by obstacles.
Protection against indirect contact cannot be by seperation, earth free equipotential bonding, or non conducting location.

Pitches preferably connected by underground cable (swa), away from the pitch itself unless it has extra mechanical protection. Overhead conductors must be completely covered with insulation ? , 2m outside the vertical surface extending from the horizontal boundary of any caraven pitch , and 3.5m up in the air, except where there is vehicle movement, then it must be 6m. ( best bury it ).
The pitch supply equipment should be placed adjacent to the pitch, and not more than 20m from any part on the pitch it is intended to serve.
Socket outlets must be IPX4 and to BS60309 ( dimentional interchangeability requirements for pin and contact-tube accessories of harmonized configurations , commando skts and plugs). They must be put between .8m and 1.5m from the floor to the bottom of box. Current rated at 16A and there must be at least one socket outlet per pitch. Each socket must be individually protected by an overcurrent device, also, RCD protected individually, or in groups of no more than three. They must not be connected to the PME terminal.Depending on the nature of the supply there are different earthing requirements, and to finish, grouped sockets should be on the same phase.

I suppose that 13A load per single outlet should be allowed for really, and that would be @299A !!! . Diversity would be a factor I suppose but knowing our summers there could be heaters in use !

Sorry this post is a bit 'heavy going' for my first, but there may be something here you may have overseen. Sounds like an interesting good job.
3yr advised test rate too.
N-joy.

Ed.

I've done many caravan site inspections and of one thing I'm certain - never trust the site owner! I know that this is unfair to many good people, but there are manslaughter cases going through the courts at the moment. Further, even if the owner / operator is as careful as possible, there are idiots who damage equipment. Protect yourself.
Qualified electricians have been electrocuted working on caravan sites due to actions of others.
Not all owners who apparently abide by the law are kosher. I remember requiring one to fit fire hydrants. When I checked the owner was very proud; there they were - new, bright red, shiny, wonderful. When asked to show them working the owner was a little reticent. No wonder; they weren't connected to the water supply!
Whatever the licence says or the regs require - don't risk anything.

even if there is RCD protection onsite (which is required by BS7671 but not everyone follows that on installation and even fewer follow it's maintinance reccomendations) RCDs placed outside in campsite poles have a nasty tendancy to stick unless the site owner excercises them regularlly with the test button which few do.

caravans should contain thier own RCD protection per BS7671 and if you are powering something other than a caravan I STRONGLY advise you to include RCD protection in it.

plugwash said:
caravans should contain thier own RCD protection per BS7671 and if you are powering something other than a caravan I STRONGLY advise you to include RCD protection in it.

DEFINATELY

And do not have a PME type earth in a caravan. There is no guarantee that the neutral from the site is neutral and grounded.

The UK Caravan Club is a good source of advice about how to protect occupants of and visitors to a caravan from hazards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back