can a plastic breadboard be cut?

Bonkers, funny - but totally bonkers :rolleyes:

The easiest way to save energy is recycling of waste gas. Eat beans, cauliflower and gently cooked onions.

Await 2 hours for the storage vessel (otherwise know as a human body) to break the food down, Now run a tube ( a 2m length of garden hose) between the body gas outlet and your domestic boiler.

Viola- HW and CH :D

Sponsored Links
Bonkers, funny - but totally bonkers :rolleyes:

The easiest way to save energy is recycling of waste gas. Eat beans, cauliflower and gently cooked onions.

Await 2 hours for the storage vessel (otherwise know as a human body) to break the food down, Now run a tube ( a 2m length of garden hose) between the body gas outlet and your domestic boiler.

Viola- HW and CH :D

Pah! I've been doing that for years - everyone has.
I thought we were talking about new technologies! :LOL:

[
Phone lines cannot provide anywhere near enough power to run anything bigger than maybe a small light or battery charger.
Speak for yourself. My mate uses an ADSL line to heat his outdoor swimming pool
well it is going to be a rather cold swimming pool. Even when ringing you won't get more than a few watts out of a phone line.

Make an international call though, and it has to go miles - try telling me that won't take some juice, easily enough to heat a few gallons of water.
the analog signals to and from your phone only have to make it as far as the local exchange. From there onwards it is digitised and sent over what is essentially a data network.

well it is going to be a rather cold swimming pool. Even when ringing you won't get more than a few watts out of a phone line.

Ahh! But that's where the transformer comes in - I'm surprised you missed that.

Ok, some basic electrics for those who don't understand what I'm talking about... I'll try and make is as simple as I can. Plugwash, don't worry if you don't follow, I'm happy to explain as many times as I have to :)

Ok, transformers as we all know can step voltage up or down, or step current up or down? Right? I think we are all agreed on that.
To get a higer voltage from a transformer you just have more turns on the secondary than the primary, the ratio of turns gives the voltage ratio. To get more current out, you need thicker cable on the secondary.
So in laymans (really basic) terms, more turns means step up the voltage, thicker wire means more current.
If it helps just think about a cars ignition coil - lots of thin wire = step up voltage. Then think of an arc welder - a little thick wire = step up current.

Now , here is the really clever bit that no one ever thought of (except me) Just use lots of turns AND thick wire. Then you get the best of both worlds, you can have your cake AND eat it. You get voltage step up and current step up. This of course means that you get MORE power out. (Power is roughly equal to current times voltage)

Now, the reason most people don't do this is that it's a very tight squeeze to get lots of turns of thick wire on your transformer, but just get a big one, don't be stingy! REMEMBER you'll get loads more power out than you put in!!! and of course the electric is from a phone line, or ISDN or ADSL so is free anyway!! So get a big transformer - RF's idea of an old site 55-0-55v transformer is a good one, you just need to rewind it a bit.

Ok, if you are still following (sorry if it's a bit techie) here is the maths.

Say we've got 60v on our phone line, so we'll need 4 times that on the secondary to bump up the voltage. So 1000 on the primary, so we put about 4000 on the secondary (I use 3998 normally, to give just under 240v) Now the current - you probably have 100mA on the phone line, now my mate's pool heater is 15Kw which is about 60Amps so we need a roughly 600 times step up on the current. No worries! Just use wire on the secondary that is 600 times thicker than the primary.
Ok, I admit, this seems tricky, but we can always use thinner stuff and parallel it up, I usually use no thicker than 10mm^2 as it gets hard to work with. Keep your windings tidy and you should just about get it all in.

...and just when you thought this was all too good to be true... it gets even better!! Transformers are big old electro-magnets, we can squeeze a bit more power out if we place big conventional magnets around the outside of the transformer just stuck to the E or I laminations - it just gives you that bit more ooomph. As a rough guide some of the big magnets of a loudspeaker should give an extra 5amps or maybe 8 at a push if you are really good at placing them on the flux lines.

The analog signals to and from your phone only have to make it as far as the local exchange. From there onwards it is digitised and sent over what is essentially a data network.
No, they don't, at least not where I live, Maybe it won't work round your way where it is digital, that's a shame. But between 1-94% of people still live in an analogue area, and you can sometimes dial a prefix to get the call routed over the old legacy network anyway.

Sponsored Links
I didn't know about the trick of using magnets.

I've just put two onto the E laminations of my transformer, and it really does work.

I can now use my sandwitch toaster at the same time as my LINAC, even with t'mersion heater switched on.

Amazing what you learn.

Happy to help mate, good luck with the accelerating.

I've just re-read my post and realise that it is probably a bit heavyweight for most people here.

Ok, so here is an easier way to do it. With something that already has one of these transformers built in.

Car audio amplifiers! Here is a link to one...

http://tinyurl.com/2dkwrh

This fella can put out 8000Watts (not my figures, the manufacturers quoted figures)

.....but look at the input current, a mere 240A at 12volts - I know that seems high, but 12*240 is just 2880watts!! Where are the extra 5120watts coming from then??? Must be a transformer in that amp somewhere.

So you could use a battery to power this amp, take the 8000watts coming out, use 2880watts to recharge the battery - and enjoy the other 'free' 5120watts to power a kiln or maybe an electric oven or really big TV.

...of course if you know how, you can then use the amplifier to drive a transformer wired in my 'special' way and you are looking at more electric than you can shake a stick at.

Did I tell you about my idea for a perpetual motion machine? Oh go on then, two plastic wheels, both with two magnets equally spaced around the rim, both wheels linked together with a belt. Once you start it off, the magnets attract each other, but move away before they stick. It does take some setting up, but once it's going, it is poetry to watch. I use mine to drive a small alternator from a fiesta, I get between 300-400watts out. Admittedly I did have to push it to get it started but that was weeks ago, it's still going strong.

this guy has given me some gems of help but gives me a real hard time
I resent that.

I don't give you a hard time at all.

Taking the p*** out of you because you are a complete t**t, yes, that I admit to....

spacecat,
i cant find the actual diagram where all the parts are situated
i followed an 8 part (idiot-proof) video instruction on how to DIY the zapper
they recommend 9v batt im using 12v which is hardly done at all-im making enquires about its effectiveness

this no snake oil at all
thousands of people cured of aids+cancer using this device

net DC? youre way over the top of my understanding

also my investigations so far-ive read up quite a lot-practically no adverse effects rather than causing skin problems--zapping removes them

i will certainly get a stripboard or pcb next time thanks

thousands of people cured of aids+cancer using this device
Oh FFS.

And pray tell us, oh Craz^H^H^H^H Enlightened One - just what conspiracy of vested interests is keeping a cure for AIDS and cancer a secret?

I used to think you were just funny, and a figure of ridicule.

Now I think you are pathetic.

Ok, some basic electrics for those who don't understand what I'm talking about... I'll try and make is as simple as I can. Plugwash, don't worry if you don't follow, I'm happy to explain as many times as I have to :)
I understand electrics quite well enough to know what you are saying is bonkers.

To get a higer voltage from a transformer you just have more turns on the secondary than the primary, the ratio of turns gives the voltage ratio.

and when you turn it arround it also gives the current ratio.

To get more current out, you need thicker cable on the secondary.
WRONG, Thicker cable will reduce losses but it will not give you a device which is more than 100% effeciant.

So in laymans (really basic) terms, more turns means step up the voltage, thicker wire means more current.
If it helps just think about a cars ignition coil - lots of thin wire = step up voltage. Then think of an arc welder - a little thick wire = step up current.

Now , here is the really clever bit that no one ever thought of (except me) Just use lots of turns AND thick wire. Then you get the best of both worlds, you can have your cake AND eat it. You get voltage step up and current step up. This of course means that you get MORE power out. (Power is roughly equal to current times voltage)

Now, the reason most people don't do this is that it's a very tight squeeze to get lots of turns of thick wire on your transformer
No the reason they don't do it is because it will not work.

Ok, if you are still following (sorry if it's a bit techie) here is the maths.

Say we've got 60v on our phone line, so we'll need 4 times that on the secondary to bump up the voltage. So 1000 on the primary, so we put about 4000 on the secondary (I use 3998 normally, to give just under 240v) Now the current - you probably have 100mA on the phone line, now my mate's pool heater is 15Kw which is about 60Amps so we need a roughly 600 times step up on the current. No worries! Just use wire on the secondary that is 600 times thicker than the primary.
the ratio of currents does not depend on the ratio of wire sizes.

The analog signals to and from your phone only have to make it as far as the local exchange. From there onwards it is digitised and sent over what is essentially a data network.
No, they don't, at least not where I live, Maybe it won't work round your way where it is digital, that's a shame. But between 1-94% of people still live in an analogue area, and you can sometimes dial a prefix to get the call routed over the old legacy network anyway.
bullshit, the inter exchange network has been all digital for decades

and even if you did find some backwater system that was still analog the signal gets amplified at each step anyway. It would be bonkers to try to design the end equipment to generate a signal level that could make it arround the world without amplification.

edit: fixed up some of the quote tags

I do but I am rather worried that others reading this thread might not.

If this was a commedy forum then I might find it acceptable but posting information that you know is wrong and some of which may be potentially dangerous on a forum that is supposed to be about helping diyers do a safe and compliant job is IMO not acceptable.

it is also encouraging the original poster to keep at it if they are a troll and encouraging them to belive more snake oil salesmen if they are really a legitiamate poster.

i cant find the actual diagram where all the parts are situated
i followed an 8 part (idiot-proof) video instruction on how to DIY the zapper

If you're really interested in electronics you should work backwards from what you've built and draw the circuit yourself. Then you should get some data on the 555 - it's a very versatile little IC - and figure out how your circuit works. :) :) :)

net DC? youre way over the top of my understanding

You've got a lot to learn about electronics :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - but everybody has to start somewhere. :) :) :)

I didn't put it all that well. Perhaps I should have said "non-zero average current". If current flows one way only we call that DC (direct current). If it oscillates back and forth we call it AC (alternating current). Engineers regularly talk about DC and AC voltages too! In electronic circuits, even trivial ones like yours, you can get currents that are neither pure DC nor pure AC. Maybe some current goes out but not all of it comes back. The bit that doesn't come back is the DC component and it's this that can cause skin damage.

also my investigations so far-ive read up quite a lot-practically no adverse effects rather than causing skin problems--zapping removes them

It's just possible that electric current might work on some skin problems but I work in radiotherapy and nobody here has ever heard of it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

ban-all-sheds said:
- just what conspiracy of vested interests is keeping a cure for AIDS and cancer a secret?

Now that, detective, is the right question. :idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe we should ask Johnny Mnemonic. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS: Please excuse my mixed movie quotes.

PPS: I once bumped into a B.Eng honours graduate who recognized me from my time as a lab tech. When I asked him what he had done for his final year project, he said he had made a 750V PSU that ran from a single 1.5V battery. Intrigued by this, I asked how much current he could get out of it and he said 150 amps. :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Don't you mean 150 micro-amps?"
"No, it was definitely 150 amps."

Now I new perfectly well what kind of equipment he would have had access to and it didn't include anything that could've switched 75,000 amps - to say nothing of the battery!!! Toasty, was that you? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PPPS: Jikwan, it's unwise to build stuff you find on the internet without knowing how it works. Did you consider that you might be making something illegal or dangerous - or both? :eek: :eek: :eek:

he had made a 750V PSU that ran from a single 1.5V battery. Intrigued by this, I asked how much current he could get out of it and he said 150 amps. :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Don't you mean 150 micro-amps?"
"No, it was definitely 150 amps."

Wow! 150amps at 750v from a 1.5v battery!! :D
Please tell me it was a D cell, probably a Duracell...
I did once get 800v at 200amps from a partially discharged C cell, but I really know what I'm doing. I had transformers, amplifiers, magnets, and even then it was hard work. Who is this guy? I think we should talk.

As for Plugwash, such a shame, you must be a clever guy, but so misguided, anyone who can't accept the idea of a > 100% efficient system has got a lot to learn.

Like Newton once said (although his 9th law is often mis-quoted):
Every action has an equal but opposite reaction except when it isn't equal but bigger, sometimes much bigger, in fact every action has a reaction, but it can be any darned size, what the fascination with equality? (source Keith Newton 1732)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back