can a plastic breadboard be cut?

PPS: I once bumped into a B.Eng honours graduate who recognized me from my time as a lab tech. When I asked him what he had done for his final year project, he said he had made a 750V PSU that ran from a single 1.5V battery. Intrigued by this, I asked how much current he could get out of it and he said 150 amps. :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Don't you mean 150 micro-amps?"
"No, it was definitely 150 amps."

Well I suppose given a large enough bank of capacitors, you could step the voltage upto 500v with a boost converter, and charge it at a slow rate until you've drained the cell into it, and then discharge the capacitor bank into the load circuit, it'll only supply 500v @ 150A for a mere fraction of a second, but should be possible ;)

Sponsored Links
This reminds me of an article I read in the paper a few years back.

It was about a chappie who had some whacking great big 400kV lines over his garden. He strung up a few wires and with a transformer used the inducted current to run most of his house.

He got prosecuted for electricity theft!

Obviously illegal, but possible? Or was it a slow April the 1st at the Birmingham Post?

I've seen flourescent tubes glowing underneath HV lines.
http://www.gorge.org/images/field/

toasty
im serious about your car engine electrical replcement concept
im wanting to let the alternative energy comunity consider it
theres too little info youve given
keeping it a secret? if its any good you stand to make billions
c'mon man oil is $100 per barrel some big name on bbc said its too cheap
should be $183 a barrel

i should add that it may be wise to transfer these topics to another catagory on the forum
getting critisism (and rightly so) from pg-must be a moderator or something

Sponsored Links
I'm not a mod on here, just someone who doesn't like seeing huge ammounts of blatantly wrong information posted on what is supposed to be an electrical help forum.

If I was a mod here this thread would be locked by now.

good point man
in brainstorming there has got to be wild crazy ideas
to the relief of many ill use a diff catagory on the forum
im no troll i start with genuine elec diy problem and i get asked to
explain something about my project i reply as concisley as poss

jikwan,

Mate, I should come clean, I was having a joke with you. Sorry if I've caused offence.

My suggestion to you would be to try to build one of these perpetual motion machine (i.e a system that is more that 100% efficient)

I've tried many many times (especially when I was younger) and it is great fun and strangely compelling. The idea of getting something for nothing is just very interesting.

I personally don't have much respect for people who just quote newtons laws, as proof that these things don't work. To my mind that makes you just as niave as someone who beleives on face value that a perpetual motion machine could work.

I've done the motor driving a alternator one several times on different scales, ideas with flywheels and moving masses around the circumference, using the expansion of water to ice to operate levers and the like, magnets, fans driving wind generators etc.. Some made from scaffold, some lego, some wood and some mechano.

As I say, it's great fun, even though (from my experiments and the laws of physics) it would appear to be impossible.

Frankly, I don't think you'll beleive this until you try yourself, so go ahead and give it ago. I'm 99.99999% sure it won't work, but who knows! And more importantly what you learn will be very valuable to you.

Good luck, and beware there are lots of people trying to make money out of this stuff.
-Dan

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and having a counterexample to the second law or thermodynamics would be one hell of an extraordinary claim.

also I don't see people chasing perpetual motion building stuff that pushes the limits of our understanding of physics. I see them building stuff in the scale/speed range where even old fassioned newtonian mechanics gives results that have far less error than the errors the experimental setup will introduce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back