Can anyone direct me to a table of current ratings for cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would there be anyone who can give me or direct me to a table showing the safe continuous current ratings for 6mm and 10mm T&E Cable laid under the floor and within an internal stud partition? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies.

The reason for my enquiry is that I need to run a cable from my incoming mains to a new consumer unit for a dog hydrotherapy suite, with a pool, water walker, dog drier and airconditioning unit. I have asked the manufacturers of the various pieces of equipment what the maximum current is and working on the basis that it might exceed (but hopefully not) the current for a 10mm2 T+E and 10mm separate earth I have already laid beneath the floor what is the next type of cable "up" from there?

I can pretty much guarantee that if you need to be asking for information like this you are not yet anywhere near the level of competence you need to be doing the installation work now.

And what do the Scottish Building Regulations have to say about all this?

I intend to have a certified person complete and test the installation prior to it being connected to the power. However I don't need the expense of that competent person grubbing about underneath the floor doing the first fix donkey work I can easily do myself, nor did I expect the judgemental tone of the post above.

I intend to have a certified person complete and test the installation prior to it being connected to the power. However I don't need the expense of that competent person grubbing about underneath the floor doing the first fix donkey work I can easily do myself,
There is a great deal more to get right than simply the diameter of the cable cores, and unless you have already got someone to certify it for you, and unless you do it to his specification, not what you think needs to be done on the basis of random questions you happen to think of then your plan may come unravelled.

nor did I expect the judgemental tone of the post above.
If you don't want to be judged incompetent to do work that you have already done (e.g. designing it right in the first place) then don't go asking questions that demonstrate your incompetence.

What is the design current of the proposed installation?

Is your supply able to cope with the additional load?

Will the feed to this suite be RCD-protected?

Why have you run an additional cpc?

Is your MEB up to standard?

Which Edition are you planning this installation to comply with?

Goodness- and there was me thinking that rule number one was

1) This is a friendly site and we ask that everyone is treated with respect!

After all Mr. ban-all-sheds, I only asked a question to enable me to understand more, which is what thought was the function of this forum

Goodness- and there was me thinking that rule number one was

1) This is a friendly site and we ask that everyone is treated with respect!

After all Mr. ban-all-sheds, I only asked a question to enable me to understand more, which is what thought was the function of this forum
I didn't treat you disrespectfully - I said I thought you were not yet competent to be actually designing and installing final and distribution circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back