can anyone suggest a DURABLE, EXTERIOR MATT finish for oak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently converting a barn and have chosen European oak for the doors and windows HOWEVER, we really dont want to change the original colour of the oak (tho I know all applications alter the shade to some degree) but the main criteria is to obtain a seriously MATT finish and one that does not require re-treatment annually. Have seen ISF 'teak oil' which is the exact finish we want (BTW its nothing like its name - it looks more like a lacquered finish and is very matt) BUT it says it needs up to 6 initial coats (!!) and at least annual re-treatment which is really not our thing. ive seen Osmo satin matt but that is more satin than matt. Does anyone have experience or suggestions of a very durable, and very matt finish for exterior oak - and one which wont crack, blister or peel? I know its a tall order but the joiner is now desperate to finish the windows and doors and we're no nearer a solution. Any help would be really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
it's a difficult one - i have tried and failed to find what you are after - oil will give you the finish you want, but needs maintenance. others form a skin but for that reason will not be matt. i am using liberon "extreme" wood stains, they are all tinted though. liberon teak oil does at least claim to be UV protective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back